And the beat plays on, 2006-2007 EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been around much these last few months, with the move to Iowa and the unpacking, etc...etc .... But I suppose I will officially start the thread that should kick off the new EM application/interview season, in hopes that I can draw back some of my counterparts who were with me on this monstrous journey through the EM 2005-6 cycle. I'd like to welcome all those 4th years who are just now getting their PS's, LOR's, and CV ready for the good old ERAS application.

This site served as one of the best sources of real-time information anywhere when I made the jump to apply to EM. People like MikeCWRU, Roja, BKN, Spyderdoc, FoughtFyr (whom I am in contact with and humbly begging for his return to the SDN world) made my life all that much easier last year. I am only an apprentice here compared to those guys but I plan to offer my advice nonetheless knowing that these veterans will be here to back me up and untell any lies I might unknowingly tell.

Welcome to the 2006-2007 EM application cycle and please come back here often and ask as many questions regarding the process as you feel you need to. I certainly asked about 100 strange (aka.. stupid as $h!t) to these vets and they never made me feel like I was bothering them.

Let the games begin!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for offering your advice, as a 4th year desperate to get EM, I'd like to take you up on this offer. Sorry if this seems like a question I should know the answer to, but I'm an IMG (from AUC, a Caribbean Med school) and unfortunately, one of the drawbacks of a non-US school is that we have no advisors, or interest groups, or anything like that to guide us.

So anyway, the question (one of many I'm sure I'll have) is how does it work for applying to 4 yr vs. 3 yr programs? Do I need to apply to 3 yr programs, 4 year programs, plus some transitional year programs or other prelim spots to complete 1 yr. of residency? Or do I apply to 3 yr's now and then 4th yr's next year? Plus, is it more difficult to get a 3 yr. spot than a 4 yr spot?

Thanks

corpsmanUP said:
I haven't been around much these last few months, with the move to Iowa and the unpacking, etc...etc .... But I suppose I will officially start the thread that should kick off the new EM application/interview season, in hopes that I can draw back some of my counterparts who were with me on this monstrous journey through the EM 2005-6 cycle. I'd like to welcome all those 4th years who are just now getting their PS's, LOR's, and CV ready for the good old ERAS application.

This site served as one of the best sources of real-time information anywhere when I made the jump to apply to EM. People like MikeCWRU, Roja, BKN, Spyderdoc, FoughtFyr (whom I am in contact with and humbly begging for his return to the SDN world) made my life all that much easier last year. I am only an apprentice here compared to those guys but I plan to offer my advice nonetheless knowing that these veterans will be here to back me up and untell any lies I might unknowingly tell.

Welcome to the 2006-2007 EM application cycle and please come back here often and ask as many questions regarding the process as you feel you need to. I certainly asked about 100 strange (aka.. stupid as $h!t) to these vets and they never made me feel like I was bothering them.

Let the games begin!!

Thanks buddy. I'll definitely see you around these parts for the next several months. I have my game day outfit on and ready to tackle this application season and make it say "uncle". Let the games begin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forsee this thread becoming important for many of us over the coming year! Thanks for all your help everyone, in advance. :thumbup:

Praying4EM said:
Thanks for offering your advice, as a 4th year desperate to get EM, I'd like to take you up on this offer. Sorry if this seems like a question I should know the answer to, but I'm an IMG (from AUC, a Caribbean Med school) and unfortunately, one of the drawbacks of a non-US school is that we have no advisors, or interest groups, or anything like that to guide us.

So anyway, the question (one of many I'm sure I'll have) is how does it work for applying to 4 yr vs. 3 yr programs? Do I need to apply to 3 yr programs, 4 year programs, plus some transitional year programs or other prelim spots to complete 1 yr. of residency? Or do I apply to 3 yr's now and then 4th yr's next year? Plus, is it more difficult to get a 3 yr. spot than a 4 yr spot?

Thanks
I'll take this one. As an FMG from Ross who was also desperate to match in EM I wish you luck and tell you to keep the faith, it's a tough road but one that many have passed over before and one you too can follow to the end.

So anyway, the answer...... As an FMG you should not limit your choices at all. Apply to both 3 and 4 year programs (both 2,3,4 and 1-4) in any and all areas that you are interested in or could conceive being happy in for that duration. As for transitional and prelim spots. Those are only necessary for 2-4 programs and even some of those give your pgy1 spot in their med program if you want it. I had 2 2-4 programs on my list and only interviewed at one prelim/trans program because interviews are tireing and time consuming. My advice is to apply everywhere you conceive of being and decide based on how many of those programs will require a pgy-1 year. THEN decide how many trans/prelim spots you should apply to. Good luck.

Praying4EM said:

Thanks

see pm

I should also point out to read the sticky threads posted at the beginning of the EM section. DrQuinn, our fearless moderator and leader here was kind enough to start these threads a while back and I found them very useful. I would also make sure to head to the Michigan State University EM website where you can read Dr. Overton's (program director) exceptional advice to emergency medicine applicants.

As for Foughtfyr, he felt like he was spending too much time here away from his family and his harder rotations have been recently as well. He is unlikely to resurface from what he tells me, so I am not holding my breath (but crossing my fingers that he will). He was probably my most important mentor of the interview season and I can only hope I could be as useful to someone in the next season or two as a resident.

Hey, a great big thanks to you corpsmanUP and all others that are likely to offer advice this season...such advice is one of the best parts of SDN.
Great.
I will be applying this year and, even if I don't ask questions directly often, will be learning from others questions and responses.
Of course, I will start paying my dues in the "post-pad" currency. It seems it that our class should help out EFetus and the rest.
Cheers!

corpsmanUP said:
As for Foughtfyr, he felt like he was spending too much time here away from his family and his harder rotations have been recently as well. He is unlikely to resurface from what he tells me, so I am not holding my breath (but crossing my fingers that he will). He was probably my most important mentor of the interview season and I can only hope I could be as useful to someone in the next season or two as a resident.

Nothing but love for you too Corpsman, but I'll have to pass the torch...

I've simply got too much to do (you know, like research. BTW - how's the database coming?), and I think as I get further out from the process, my advice may be less useful. My concerns as a third year resident are different than those of fourth year medical students. That said, I'm a pm away if anyone really needs... (or email for those who have it).

- H

corpsmanUP said:
I would also make sure to head to the Michigan State University EM website where you can read Dr. Overton's (program director) exceptional advice to emergency medicine applicants.
I tried looking for this site with no luck. Anyone have a link

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoorah Foughtfyr! At least we know you are lurking from time to time. As for the database, I need a bit more time to get things off the ground. I was not happy with the means by which I was having to search the events, crappy web info and no good search features etc.. etc.. So I needed to wait until this month when I got access to my U-Iowa library systems where I can go and get help from the expert searchers and librarians. We actually get a lot of research support here and I want to do it right. I'm trying to avoid having to call every darn incident contact to get the facts on each case. But since my PD is more than happy to let it count as my scholarly project, I will be on it that is a guarantee. I am in the ED for 2 months straight out of the blocks so I should have time. I know you said September, and I am hoping to have you what you need before then. I would have called you if my plans had changed any! PM me your phone numbers again H because I sure don't want to have to call Annie again to get you ! :eek:

corpsman, welcome back. About some advice from the newly minted interns about what they did and did not do on their EM rotations that made a good impression. Some important factoids, some really important algorithms we should know, or maybe the most common pimp questions you encountered on EM rotations. I am doing 3 aways, and hope to knock them out of the park!

ElZorro said:
corpsman, welcome back. About some advice from the newly minted interns about what they did and did not do on their EM rotations that made a good impression. Some important factoids, some really important algorithms we should know, or maybe the most common pimp questions you encountered on EM rotations. I am doing 3 aways, and hope to knock them out of the park!

You obviously need to know the basics, but remember, they don't expect you to know too much overall. Any good EM review book should prepare you for the basics. Its way more about people skills, a delicate balance of being easy to work with without excessive brown nosing. People just want to be able to see that you are easy to work with and overall a fun person. EM people are probably the most laid back, fun doctors around. A really great resource to read before you do an EM rotation is the tiny "Top Clinical Diagnoses" book put out by ACEP when you join. So join as a student now!

Joining ACEP also gives you access to some online resources about each individual program including statistics updated by the chief residents annually. Plus you get free EM journals and other cool stuff!

corpsmanUP said:
You obviously need to know the basics, but remember, they don't expect you to know too much overall. Any good EM review book should prepare you for the basics. Its way more about people skills, a delicate balance of being easy to work with without excessive brown nosing. People just want to be able to see that you are easy to work with and overall a fun person. EM people are probably the most laid back, fun doctors around. A really great resource to read before you do an EM rotation is the tiny "Top Clinical Diagnoses" book put out by ACEP when you join. So join as a student now!

Joining ACEP also gives you access to some online resources about each individual program including statistics updated by the chief residents annually. Plus you get free EM journals and other cool stuff!

I second joining ACEP, you do get a lot of little goodies, for a pretty cheap student price. The book of top clinical diagnosis is pretty nice, I even used it on my medicine rotations when we had a admit in the ED, I just skimmed that in like one minute to make sure the basics are known/done.

Is it true that you can submit your application without the letters(only indicating which ones you are expecting)? When is too late? Will not have a complete application before Nov 1 hurt me.

Thanks for all the advice....

mfleur said:
Is it true that you can submit your application without the letters(only indicating which ones you are expecting)? When is too late? Will not have a complete application before Nov 1 hurt me.

yeah, you can submit ERAS before the LORs, dean's letter, etc have been uploaded. in fact, it's probably not a bad idea to do so.

as for waiting till nov 1 to have a complete app, i don't know that it will kill your application, but it won't help. you should definitely try to have everything in asap, preferably by mid-oct, and i wouldn't wait unless i had a good reason (EM rotation in oct, for example). someone who actually did this (waited till nov 1) or BKN et al will have more insight.

mfleur said:

Programs will not usually schedule interviews before the Nov 1 date for dean's letter release. But a lot of us will offer interviews before that for scheduling after the Nov date.

I have several hundred apps to go through. It'll take me hundreds of hours, I'm gonna do it whenever I have the time starting as soon as the post office opens. I'll offer an interview on the basis of a good transcript, application and a couple of LORs. We'll read the dean's letter when and if they show up for the interview.

As the interview season goes on there are fewer interview slots available. I rarely run out before mid-November, and more open up as folks cancel.

But earlier is better.

BKN can clarify, but I think he meant he rarely runs out of "scheduled dates" for interviews before mid November, meaning that he probably still interviews close to the New Year. I interviewed there with him around the 3rd week of November last year and he was one of the first to offer me one.

My entire package was not done prior to the Nov 1st date, as I was lacking a couple LOR's, and maybe even my step II score. But they were all in by mid November and most programs seemed to elude that they had just read my Dean's Letter and looked at a few other parts of my app way after they decided to interview me. I think the better your package is overall, the earlier you will get an interview invite lacking a complete app. My guess is some programs won't offer interviews until the entire package is complete, but I think that is the exception. If you have really good grades and boards, your LOR's will probably hold nothing up. But the flip side is that you may have to wait a bit longer to get offered some interviews if you have below average-to-average stats (assuming a powerful LOR shows up!).

This whole process is a game and there are many angles to play. But like any sport, you can't start tweeking your skills until you have the basics down. By this I mean start early, and get your PS done, remind your LOR writers, and if at all possible take your boards early (including step II CS or PE). Programs seem to be moving slowly toward wanting CS done before match because a few places have been burned by a grad showing up having failed it and for whatever reason in that particular state, not being granted a training permit (hospital policy or something). So just do it earlier than later...my $.02.

One thing I will recommend to all you gunners is to invest in some serious stress management from October to December. It was unbelievably painful watching the "interviews offered" thread get longer and longer starting WELL BEFORE November first (tons of programs offered earlier than usual this last year well before the Dean's List). And don't read into someone else you know getting offered an interview before you. Many programs divide up the applicant pool by any number of criteria and farm them out to faculty to review the apps. Some involve residents as well. Some of those individuals are faster than others, so perhaps someone who's last name starts with letter A-C gets interviewed before the most incredible applicant in the pack who's name starts with the letter M.

Try not to read your email 10 times a day and wonder where your interviews are coming from. Be CERTAIN to check at least once daily your email, and your ERAS messages although 95% of the time if you get one in one box, the same message will be in the other. But a few occasions it was only in one or the other, and one time I only got a phone call. My personal opinion is that the thick part of the area under the curve on the bell curve of interviews offered, will be between November 2nd and November 15th, with 15% or so of your interview invites coming earlier or later than these dates.

My next contribution to this thread will be about how I recommend scheduling interviews. Look for it in a few days hopefully! But there is plenty of time ;)

deleted elderly tremor led to duplicate post.

corpsmanUP said:
BKN can clarify, but I think he meant he rarely runs out of "scheduled dates" for interviews before mid November, meaning that he probably still interviews close to the New Year.

I don't know whether I was clear, nor is it terribly important that we concentrate on what one program does. I was just giving an example. But I'll try to be more complete.

I make the offers before and throughout the interview season (Nov to Mid-Feb). If I run out of slots, there will probably be plenty of people canceling as they get exhausted from the road and fairly confident that they will match with a place they like. There are also people who decide to apply late based on late decisions or who don't feel that they got enough interviews.

As I collect cancellations, I then turn around and offer more interviews. I suspect this may seem familiar to you after applications to college and med school.

BTW corpsman, welcome back to the board. Settling in?

We are settling in well. It's really gorgeous here and the weather is incredible. Remind me around December that I said this in June! I'm still trying to get used to the midwesterners. The sense of humor here is as dry as your front yard BKN. We are slowly making friends but its tough not being around real Texans. I guess that is the price to pay! Keep me in mind sometime around 2009 when just maybe I will have talked my wife into going west. But who knows, I might end up loving this program and never leaving. Andy Nugent is my ED director and he said to hell you hello again.

Anyone have a quick timeline for ERAS? I am studying for Step II and am wondering if I should be working on my app. Thanks for the thread, I am sure I will see many of you on the interview trail this year (I hope!).

farbar

Here is a question worth asking. I have heard many people say that if you call or email a program that you are really interested in but that has not invited you yet (or rejected you) to let them know that you are very interested, you may be more likely to get an interview. Some folks said they got an invite right away. My question is this... how long would you wait for an interview from your dream program before calling and what exactly do you say?

"My name is Trkd-diddy and I am an applicant to your program, can I speak with Dr. PD?"

"Hello, Dr. PD here."

What then?

trkd said:
Here is a question worth asking. I have heard many people say that if you call or email a program that you are really interested in but that has not invited you yet (or rejected you) to let them know that you are very interested, you may be more likely to get an interview. Some folks said they got an invite right away. My question is this... how long would you wait for an interview from your dream program before calling and what exactly do you say?

"My name is Trkd-diddy and I am an applicant to your program, can I speak with Dr. PD?"

"Hello, Dr. PD here."

What then?

If you have not already found the www.cordem.org website, you need to fast! It is incredibly useful and has all the PD's emails in most cases on each individual residency page. I used that to email them politely and it worked about 75% of the time. I did this very thing at least 10 times. IT WORKS, and it does help them to take a 2nd look at your app. One PD flat out told me he had no idea why I had not been granted an interview and he opened a slot for me. It can really help I feel, but be brief and don't write an essay.

corpsmanUP said:
If you have not already found the www.cordem.org website, you need to fast! It is incredibly useful and has all the PD's emails in most cases on each individual residency page. I used that to email them politely and it worked about 75% of the time. I did this very thing at least 10 times. IT WORKS, and it does help them to take a 2nd look at your app. One PD flat out told me he had no idea why I had not been granted an interview and he opened a slot for me. It can really help I feel, but be brief and don't write an essay.

Thanks, sounds good!

When do you do this? 2 wks, 4wks, 6 wks post-app?

corpsmanUP said:

I second this. It definately can work for you. PD's have hundreds of apps to go through. Even with good scores, etc they start to all blur together. PD's want people who really want to be at thier program. I know our PD has often gone back after someone has called and then rerviewed thier app and offered interviews. (in fact, this happened with one of our current residents)...

So, if you really like a program, give them a call.

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted a response to my question. I've been quite busy on a trauma elective that's Q3 and haven't had much time to spend online btw that and becoming best friends w/ crush step 2 and USMLEworld. But just wanted to let you guys know your efforst to advise did not go in vain.

I'm a little overwhelmed right now too becuase I know that the most important thing is to get a rotation somewhere with a residency program but that has been a surprisingly huge challenge. I'm working on a couple leads (Albert Einstein and Brooklyn Hospital in NY, since that's where I am now, finishing 4th year rotations) and I hope they work out. Otherwise, if anyone has any advice on programs that accept IMG's to rotate in that would be great.

We have IMG's rotate at our hospital in manhattan

I too will try to add the teeny weeny bits of advice as you all move along...

roja said:
We have IMG's rotate at our hospital in manhattan

Now Roja and Praying4EM, what makes an IMG eligible for a rotation at a hospital in the US? Do you pay for it? If at all possible I could use one to obtain an EM LOR, however, I graduated last july.... Does anyone know what I could do let's say in NY or Boston? I tried Harvard but they only work for students.

trkd said:
Thanks, sounds good!

When do you do this? 2 wks, 4wks, 6 wks post-app?
I would wait until about Mid November.

For those who remember I applied to >100 programs. I would say 10-15% of them got back to me sometime between when I got my app in (Sept 30th) and Nov 1. The week after Nov 1 was busy and then the week before Thanksgiving was busy as well with invites.

Hope this helps..

corpsmanUP said:

Yeah be brief.. The thing that also works is calling the coordinator and getting a status update.

As has been described before you will prob get rejected at places you dont know why, and get interviews at places that you thought you had no chance at..

To avoid getting rejected from places you like make sure they know you are interested..

rayoflite said:
Now Roja and Praying4EM, what makes an IMG eligible for a rotation at a hospital in the US? Do you pay for it? If at all possible I could use one to obtain an EM LOR, however, I graduated last july.... Does anyone know what I could do let's say in NY or Boston? I tried Harvard but they only work for students.

I am not really sure. Contact the programs in the city and ask, is the best advice I can give. Sorry. :(

EctopicFetus said:

For those who remember I applied to >100 programs. I would say 10-15% of them got back to me sometime between when I got my app in (Sept 30th) and Nov 1. The week after Nov 1 was busy and then the week before Thanksgiving was busy as well with invites.

Hope this helps..

Thanks, that does help. I will be keeping it in mind come November.

EctopicFetus said:

Hope this helps..

Sorry, I missed your story and now need to know - why over 100 programs? I did do some research and saw you got your #1, so in retrospect do you think it was overkill?

roja said:
I am not really sure. Contact the programs in the city and ask, is the best advice I can give. Sorry. :(

thanks roja, if there is anything I'll sniff it out and if not then I'll keep sniffing until the smell of all the other things makes me nauseous. :mad:
:laugh: :laugh:

Hard24Get said:
Sorry, I missed your story and now need to know - why over 100 programs? I did do some research and saw you got your #1, so in retrospect do you think it was overkill?
Long story short.. Wife applying to very competetive job which she couldn't really pick geography (so we thought). I applied to every program within 100 miles of a law school.

In the end it wasnt overkill cause as much as I like the U of A and the program here my family is in the SE. Overall I couldnt be happier, great (and I do mean great) people (Sam Keim and others). We had other options in the end (which we didnt think we would have) and WE CHOSE to come here. Couldnt be happier.

Hi Ya'll. Just got my ERAS token and registered there at their site, but had a question for the seasoned residency application veterans out there.

For the "Publication/Abstract/Poster Section" section, is there a way to put something down that shows you have had something accepted but that hasn't been published or presented yet? What do you do if you have an abstract that will be presented in a few months but haven't done yet? Do you just leave the "Month", "Year" and "Volume" information blank or can you write "Submitted", "Accepted", or "to be presented" there?

Any thoughts? Muchas gracias in advance..... :)

Hawk22 said:
Hi Ya'll. Just got my ERAS token and registered there at their site, but had a question for the seasoned residency application veterans out there.

For the "Publication/Abstract/Poster Section" section, is there a way to put something down that shows you have had something accepted but that hasn't been published or presented yet? What do you do if you have an abstract that will be presented in a few months but haven't done yet? Do you just leave the "Month", "Year" and "Volume" information blank or can you write "Submitted", "Accepted", or "to be presented" there?

Any thoughts? Muchas gracias in advance..... :)

Certainly not a veteran but I'll let you know what I did. My stuff hasn't been accepted for publication yet but has been presented so I just wrote Study in progress, "Presented at X, May 2006" in the Publications/Organizations box and left the rest blank. Looks like only the top three boxes are required.

I would think you could do the same thing, esp because it's already been accepted for publication- just write "Accepted for publication in X" or something in the third required box. Hope this helps you.

jojo14 said:
Certainly not a veteran but I'll let you know what I did. My stuff hasn't been accepted for publication yet but has been presented so I just wrote Study in progress, "Presented at X, May 2006" in the Publications/Organizations box and left the rest blank. Looks like only the top three boxes are required.

I would think you could do the same thing, esp because it's already been accepted for publication- just write "Accepted for publication in X" or something in the third required box. Hope this helps you.
:thumbup:

Question-
Is there a spot on eras for presentations? And should this include presentations at "poster day" or "research day" at X institution? Or it it only for like SAEM confrence, etc? I've given several presentations at poster days/ research symposium at X, but not sure if this is "legit" stuff to include? what's the cut off?
thanks,
streetdoc

streetdoc said:
Question-
Is there a spot on eras for presentations? And should this include presentations at "poster day" or "research day" at X institution? Or it it only for like SAEM confrence, etc? I've given several presentations at poster days/ research symposium at X, but not sure if this is "legit" stuff to include? what's the cut off?
thanks,
streetdoc

anyone with input???
thanks,
street

streetdoc said:
Question-
thanks,
streetdoc
I think you should include it. I believe I had one of these on my app. Just make sure you are HONEST. Dont overplay this. At one of the places I interviewed the asst PD basically told me how he caught people doing this. I would put it in, it shows you have done some research etc. If you have 10 published things in the NEJM or SAEM then dont bother with the small stuff but if you have one or 2 other things I would.

This is just my opinion though and someone else might see things another way.

JackBauERfan said:
I second joining ACEP, you do get a lot of little goodies, for a pretty cheap student price. The book of top clinical diagnosis is pretty nice, I even used it on my medicine rotations when we had a admit in the ED, I just skimmed that in like one minute to make sure the basics are known/done.

ACEP? As student, do I join EMRA?
When I look at the EMRA website I don't see mention of this top clinical diagnoses book that is pretty nice? ...so I am guessing I am looking in the wrong spot. Can someone direct me? JackBauERfan or someone else?

nocallaochicas

Great thread--thanks for all the helpful info!

I have a quick question regarding timing for those of you involved in the residency process: would lack of a grade in EM prevent interview offers? The rest of my application is strong (good institution, clinical honors, good Board scores, other relevant EM experiences), but due to timing issues, I will not do an EM rotation until mid-September (thus the grade would not be in until November). Should I not bother submitting my application until then? Thanks!

nocallaochicas said:
ACEP? As student, do I join EMRA?
When I look at the EMRA website I don't see mention of this top clinical diagnoses book that is pretty nice? ...so I am guessing I am looking in the wrong spot. Can someone direct me? JackBauERfan or someone else?

nocallaochicas

I think there is a combined student membership for $50. Not sure if you can join them separately.