Technology Android tablet for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Powel6016

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What are some good android tablets that fit in your white coat? (no I'm not gonna make bigger pockets)
I have an old nexus 7 and thinking of upgrading.

Also essential apps you have used for residency?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey - congrats on making the jump. What are you going in to? I think in general, a few essentials include Medscape, Micromedex if your institution has it or Epocrates, QxCalculate, QxRead, whatever you favorite cloud storage/lit manager is (I like Mendeley and Dropbox). Others depend a bit on what you're going in to.

Hey - congrats on making the jump. What are you going in to? I think in general, a few essentials include Medscape, Micromedex if your institution has it or Epocrates, QxCalculate, QxRead, whatever you favorite cloud storage/lit manager is (I like Mendeley and Dropbox). Others depend a bit on what you're going in to.

Thanks for the advice. Got into family.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the galaxy note 8 and I love it. The integrated stylus and multi-screen features are really nice. I will say that the Apple universe has A LOT more professional friendly apps, and if I had to do it all over again, I would think very hard about getting the iPad mini.

The 8" tablet fits in my white coat without any problems, and is big enough to take handwritten notes and use medical references really.

I have Lexi-Comp, Uptodate, shortcuts to my institutions pubmed pages and to my Google books versions of MGH Pocket Medicine and O'Keefe's EKG Criteria, plus the EPSS USPSTF app, QxCalc, the ACC 10 year risk calculator, and a couple others, like Docphin, QuantiaMD and Medscape, to keep up with the literature.

I also use Google Drive to manage and keep PDFs of "landmark articles"

As previously mentioned, I would strongly suggest the iPad mini as a point-of-care companion. Its size fits most white coat pockets perfectly, it is affordable (I own the non-Retina Display version and it serves my purposes pretty well), and iOS has an amazing quantity of medical apps available. The medical apps collection is a strong point in favor of Apple devises, in this case. If you are just looking for a tablet where you can access UpToDate and read PDF papers, though, I'd say that any Android one should do the trick. Among these, Google's Nexus 7 is said to have a great cost-benefit.