anes and organic chem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
jeez

the more i'm getting to know about Gas, the more i've learned that one needs to be fluent in organic chem :oops: :oops: not to mention some physics helps.

yikes :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

ThinkFast007 said:
jeez

the more i'm getting to know about Gas, the more i've learned that one needs to be fluent in organic chem :oops: :oops: not to mention some physics helps.

yikes :eek:

that's one of the reasons i :love: this field. Glad to see it wasn't just my imagination. . .

Anesthesiology and radiology are probably the two most scientific medical fields out there, that i know of anyway. . .Rad onc maybe too? i'm not too familiar with it.

but if you hate it, you might be able to get away with not delving into the deeper science of it (at least that's my impression from talking to different residents--those who loved the chemistry behind it and those who said you dont really need to know that).

My impression has been that if you were to violently hit your head in a specific manner in which you forgot every single bit of organic chem you had accumulated but nothing else, you would be just fine. Seems like the scientific talk is more for looking smart than leading to any conceivable clinical decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
aredoubleyou said:
My impression has been that if you were to violently hit your head in a specific manner in which you forgot every single bit of organic chem you had accumulated but nothing else, you would be just fine. Seems like the scientific talk is more for looking smart than leading to any conceivable clinical decision.

Unless you're into organic stereochemistry, which I find fascinating. I personally think that 3-d molecular imaging, and protein folding models are the future of anesthesiology, as well as medicine in general. We are just now starting to scratch the surface of this applied science with things like dextro/levo- rotatory isolation. I think that in the future... far future... we will be able to digitally visualize receptors, and and then engineer a corresponding molecule to inhibit, or activate said receptor. Can you imagine the possibilities?
Also, on a biochem note, I think the fact that we can engineer viruses to deliver meds, as well as actual dna fragments is amazing. Once again, I think it's just a matter of time b4 we can treat, and make huge differences in the live of those with genetic disease. Just picture the 75 YO cystic fibrosis Pt going in for their monthly dose of INH chloride channels... that's cool whether you like science, medicine, or just happen to be a Pt.

After going back and reading this post I'm realizing I've been a huge nerd, and will cure said nerdiness by calling my girlfriend over for some non-nerdy activities.
Later :cool:

oops, duplicate post.

Btw, I was on an engineering track when I first started going to school, so I like physics too. All ya gotta do for me is tell me how much it weighs, and which way it's going and I'll figure out the rest.

lvspro said:
Unless you're into organic stereochemistry, which I find fascinating. I personally think that 3-d molecular imaging, and protein folding models are the future of anesthesiology, as well as medicine in general. We are just now starting to scratch the surface of this applied science with things like dextro/levo- rotatory isolation. I think that in the future... far future... we will be able to digitally visualize receptors, and and then engineer a corresponding molecule to inhibit, or activate said receptor. Can you imagine the possibilities?
Also, on a biochem note, I think the fact that we can engineer viruses to deliver meds, as well as actual dna fragments is amazing. Once again, I think it's just a matter of time b4 we can treat, and make huge differences in the live of those with genetic disease. Just picture the 75 YO cystic fibrosis Pt going in for their monthly dose of INH chloride channels... that's cool whether you like science, medicine, or just happen to be a Pt.

After going back and reading this post I'm realizing I've been a huge nerd, and will cure said nerdiness by calling my girlfriend over for some non-nerdy activities.

Fellow nerd here. No reason to make excuses about that. NERD PRIDE!

I totally agree. And I think it goes a lot further than just stereochemistry. A whole lot of anesthesiology is practiced empirically, because mechanisms of action are just not known. I too feel that the field is just scratching the surface of what could possibly be if all this were clearer. There is a lot of potential for discovery, and by ignoring the science, anesthesiology in 100 years is gonna be show no improvement over how it's practiced today (not that it's bad, but there's always room for improvement). It's not about looking smart, aredoubleyou. No need to put others down. I doubt anyone going into this field is a show-off. It's about fascination, interest, and wanting to discover--it's pretty addictive once you get started.

But yeah you're right in that it's not necessary for clinical practice. (although thinking scientifically never hurts in making a better clinician).

lvspro said:

Just wondering how that non-nerdy activity w/ your girlfriend went? hehe ...just kidding

:cool: