Anes CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you on the interview trail right now, is your perception that interview spots/offers are getting a lot tighter than the recent past? It seems to me that Anes CC is going to get much more competitive in the coming years. And also that the job market for Anes CC in PP is going to get much bigger. Can anyone share some insights on this?

Members don't see this ad.

As a third year med student interested in anesthesia/CC I'm also interested in views on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can not comment on the competitiveness of fellowships compared previous years but can say that programs that I am aware of are asking for additional funding to increase fellowship positions secondary to increased interest. Also when I first started residency I was not aware of any PP CC positions and if I did a quick search today I could find multiple opportunities. The opportunities are large hospital systems looking for anesthesia CC coverage. I think this trend will continue since many hospital groups are seeing benefits in 24/7 CC physician coverage in reducing M&M as well as meeting certain patient quality perimeters tied to Medicare funding.

Yes and I think perhaps the one and only good thing that may come out of government overreach into healthcare might be that more ICUs become closed. The evidence is there and continues to mount that closed units with 24/7 CC trained physicians lead to better outcomes, shorter stays, etc.

I think CCM is about to see a boom but that may just be my wishful thinking since I start fellowship in July.

Yes and I think perhaps the one and only good thing that may come out of government overreach into healthcare might be that more ICUs become closed. The evidence is there and continues to mount that closed units with 24/7 CC trained physicians lead to better outcomes, shorter stays, etc. I think CCM is about to see a boom but that may just be my wishful thinking since I start fellowship in July.

This, is why I am hoping that after 5-7 years running a MICU as a CC hospitalist they will give me credit for 1 of 2 years of the straight IM/CC fellowship so I only need to eat one year of salary. The greater the shortage the more desperate they will be for bodies.