Anesthesia Bad Press on ABC news

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foxtrot

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This segment on ABC news is ridiculous.
Is BIS promoting the number "40,0000 Americans suffering from awareness"? I really hope that the ASA is all over this because it makes our profession look very incompetent.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=5266722&ch=4226723&src=news

Members don't see this ad.

ABC is owned by Disney and if i am thinking correctly isnt there a connection between Disney and MGM. Correct me if i am wrong but this might be a case of "synergy" by the media industry.

my 2 cents

This segment on ABC news is ridiculous.
Is BIS promoting the number "40,0000 Americans suffering from awareness"? I really hope that the ASA is all over this because it makes our profession look very incompetent.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=5266722&ch=4226723&src=news

The published scientific research says 1 in 1-2,000 cases. The 40,000 comes from multiplying the by the number of surgeries per year.

Not every episode of anesthesia awareness results in PTSD but if it is possible to reduce the incidence by 82% why would you not make this effort?

The ASA took 8 years to decide that instantaneously knowing the pts. oxygen level was a standard of care. Prior to that we had to look at the color of the blood in the field, the nail beds and the conjunctiva to assess pt. oxygenation. SpO2 1984, ASA 1992.

The ASA will do a great job for your contracts, Medicare reimbursement, etc. They are about as interested in improving pt. outcomes as your health insurance company is interested in providing you benefits when you are sick.

"...it makes our profession look very incompetent."

I disagree.

Failure to make the effort makes the profession look indifferent.

Having worked a 60-80 hour week and understanding the toll it takes on one's ability to perceive our pts. as the individuals they are, my biggest fear is to have to be hospitalized and have anesthesia by a fellow shell shocked anesthesiologist who doesn't think it is important to measure my brain's response to his/her drugs.:eek:

When one has great difficulty in maintaining one's own level of consciousness, it becomes progressively more difficult to relate to prts. as real people who have variable responses to our doses predicated on the '70 kg man' designed for the 80 percentile under the bell curve.

Bigger than awareness is the epidemic of overdosing we routinely subject our pts. for fear of under-medicating them.

'Goldilocks' anesthesia is a useful paradigm for both under-dosing and under-dosing.:thumbup:

aghast1, a long time non-member of ASA

Members don't see this ad :)
aghast1, a long time non-member of ASA

I am not sure why, but for some reason, that makes me feel better about writing my check to the ASA. I am curious about your overuse of the emoticon. I really think that you could have a lot to contribute to the forum if you didn't annoy the he!! out of everyone with your emoticons, snarkiness (ie claiming that 2/3 of medical students do not have the ability to read etc), pompous, grandiose, self-serving ideas of how you will be remembered in anesthesia history, and your being an obvious shill for ASPECT. Perhaps you could come to my department and pitch the importance of the BIS monitor. Don't forget to bring the kolaches and donuts.

Dear aghast1:
Your ignorance has no bounds. The only reason not to join the ASA is because you are in financial straights. The only reason to be proud your not a member is stupidity. So you are a mentally challenged cheap physician who would have other people fund the fights you need to have fought. You don't get Anesthesiology (Do you read?).

ASA was instrumental in passing the 405 code in NYS. The second state to require SpO2 monitoring. What have you been doing to advance anesthesiology? Have you founded a PAC. Lobbied for repair of the teaching rule, patient safety, started your own anesthesia org. Or do you sit on your ass critical of the VOLUNTEER work of your collegues who not only give their time but also their money to help ungrateful fools like yourself. Before you left the ASA did you run for office to try and change things. Then you could make BIS a standard even though there is no evidenced based medicine to support it.

This ad is being shown in major US metropolitan areas.

http://www.asahq.org/news/99648ame_Animation%20Approval_1.mpg

The published scientific research says 1 in 1-2,000 cases. The 40,000 comes from multiplying the by the number of surgeries per year.

http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/2004/05_04/lte05_04.html

Here's the take-home point from this outstanding letter to the editor:

While BIS can be a useful tool in specific settings, it is self-serving to say that all patients need such a device. If .02 percent of Dr. Sebel's general anesthesia patients do indeed have awareness under general anesthesia without a BIS monitor, then I suggest he learn a different anesthesia technique. May I point out that 5 mg of midazolam costs about $1 versus $9,500 for a BIS monitor and $17.50 per BIS electrode array?

I'm still looking for that conflict of interest disclaimer...

You call this better? OMG - talk about a self-serving piece of propaganda. This is Carol Weihrer's site. Your credibility just took a nose-dive.

I am not sure why, but for some reason, that makes me feel better about writing my check to the ASA. I am curious about your overuse of the emoticon. I really think that you could have a lot to contribute to the forum if you didn't annoy the he!! out of everyone with your emoticons, snarkiness (ie claiming that 2/3 of medical students do not have the ability to read etc), pompous, grandiose, self-serving ideas of how you will be remembered in anesthesia history, and your being an obvious shill for ASPECT. Perhaps you could come to my department and pitch the importance of the BIS monitor. Don't forget to bring the kolaches and donuts.

"I am not sure why, but for some reason, that makes me feel better about writing my check to the ASA."

Having founded my own society to educate others about how to perform OBA as safely as possible, I truly appreciate the 'why' of having a society: a common set of interests.

As an ASA member, you may be certain your dues will be going towards obtaining beneficial contracts and improved Medicare reimbursement, none of which has anything to do with my cash paying, non-contracted office based anesthesia.

Five years after founding SOFA and merging with SOBA, the ASA & SAMBA finally recognized that OBA was indeed a separate sub-specialty from ASC. DUH.

My dues go to SAMBA and I contribute to the APSF. The ASA has nothing in common with my practice and will do nothing in the future to improve it. Having nothing in common except that we both administer drugs to patients, there is no common interest or benefit to me. WTF.

"I am curious about your overuse of the emoticon.":mad:

A picture says a thousand words.:corny:

"I really think that you could have a lot to contribute to the forum..."

Good point. You just don't know when to quit while you're ahead.:)

"emoticons, snarkiness (ie claiming that 2/3 of medical students do not have the ability to read etc), pompous, grandiose, self-serving ideas":p

It ain't braggin' if it's true. 0.5% PONV in a high risk population without anti-emetics. My ideas are intended to serve patients. vide infra outcomes

FWIW, I love the work 'snarky.'

snarky defined
Main Entry:snarky Pronunciation: \ˈsnär-kē\ Function:adjective Etymology dialect snark to annoy, perhaps alteration of nark to irritateDate:1906 1 : crotchety, snappish
2 : sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner <snarky lyrics>
— snark·i·ly \-k&#601;-l&#275;\ adverb

"...your being an obvious shill for ASPECT.":p

I guess you also must have been in the lower 2/3rds of your medical school class because you obviously can't read my multiple disclaimer posts. Let's try it again s-l-o-w-l-y:

Disclaimer: I am not employed by Aspect. I do not hold Aspect stock. I am not a paid consultant for Aspect. My opinions are strictly based on my 10 year experience with BIS.

If it sounds like I am shouting, it's only because you appear to be deaf.:eek:

"
Perhaps you could come to my department and pitch the importance of the BIS monitor.":p

Happy to hold grand rounds whenever the invitation is extended. I would also enjoy the opportunity to demonstrate my technique with your residents.:)

The current lecture title is "Why is minimally invasive anesthesia important?"

Ciao for now,

aghast1

Dear aghast1:
Your ignorance has no bounds. The only reason not to join the ASA is because you are in financial straights. The only reason to be proud your not a member is stupidity. So you are a mentally challenged cheap physician who would have other people fund the fights you need to have fought. You don't get Anesthesiology (Do you read?).

ASA was instrumental in passing the 405 code in NYS. The second state to require SpO2 monitoring. What have you been doing to advance anesthesiology? Have you founded a PAC. Lobbied for repair of the teaching rule, patient safety, started your own anesthesia org. Or do you sit on your ass critical of the VOLUNTEER work of your collegues who not only give their time but also their money to help ungrateful fools like yourself. Before you left the ASA did you run for office to try and change things. Then you could make BIS a standard even though there is no evidenced based medicine to support it.

"Your ignorance has no bounds."

Remember when you point your finger at another, three of your own fingers are pointing back at you.

"The only reason to be proud your not a member is stupidity.So you are a mentally challenged cheap physician who would have other people fund the fights you need to have fought."

Having founded my own society as a force for change (Society for OFfice Anesthesiologists - SOFA), I am keenly aware of the 'why' societies exist: a common set of interests.

The ASA is just swell for help negotiating contracts and trying to pry more money out of Medicare.

My practice is non-contracted, cash paying. To wit, there is no common interest I share with ASA. I fight my own fights.

"You don't get Anesthesiology (Do you read?)"

When Todd was editor in chief, his anti-BIS bias was clear and most unprofessional.:barf:

I canceled my subscription when that bias became obvious.

I do read (A&A), write (happy to email you my cv on request) and do 'rithmetic (no billing or accounts receivable:thumbup:).

"What have you been doing to advance anesthesiology? Have you founded a PAC. Lobbied for repair of the teaching rule, patient safety, started your own anesthesia org."

vide supra
- SOFA, SOBA:D

"Or do you sit on your ass critical of the VOLUNTEER work of your collegues who not only give their time but also their money to help ungrateful fools like yourself."

Actually, I am very grateful not to be in any society that would have a pathetic clown like you for a member.:clap:

"Before you left the ASA did you run for office to try and change things.? Then you could make BIS a standard even though there is no evidenced based medicine to support it."

I am not by nature or inclination a politician. My efforts have come through my organization and my publications.

If you are willing to ignore the evidence of 3,000+ scientific published papers, then there is no evidence that will convince you that it may be a good idea to measure the organ you are trying to medicate.

FWIW, HR & BP trends are notoriously unreliable guides.:thumbdown:

Warm regards from sunny southern California,

aghast1

http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/2004/05_04/lte05_04.html

Here's the take-home point from this outstanding letter to the editor:

While BIS can be a useful tool in specific settings, it is self-serving to say that all patients need such a device. If .02 percent of Dr. Sebel’s general anesthesia patients do indeed have awareness under general anesthesia without a BIS monitor, then I suggest he learn a different anesthesia technique. May I point out that 5 mg of midazolam costs about $1 versus $9,500 for a BIS monitor and $17.50 per BIS electrode array?

I'm still looking for that conflict of interest disclaimer...

You call this better? OMG - talk about a self-serving piece of propaganda. This is Carol Weihrer's site. Your credibility just took a nose-dive.

" I'm still looking for that conflict of interest disclaimer..."

see post #9 of this thread:)

"This is Carol Weihrer's site."

Gosh, what a sharpie you are.:rolleyes:

Had a nice conversation with her today to congratulate her on getting national media attention.

PTSD following anesthesia awareness is a heavy cross to bear.:(

I give her credit for not letting the ASA bury her.:thumbup:

"Your credibility just took a nose-dive."

Your assessment of my credibility is beyond irrelevant.:laugh:

Best regards,

aghast1

" I'm still looking for that conflict of interest disclaimer..."

see post #9 of this thread:)

"This is Carol Weihrer's site."

Gosh, what a sharpie you are.:rolleyes:

Had a nice conversation with her today to congratulate her on getting national media attention.

PTSD following anesthesia awareness is a heavy cross to bear.:(

I give her credit for not letting the ASA bury her.:thumbup:

"Your credibility just took a nose-dive."

Your assessment of my credibility is beyond irrelevant.:laugh:

Best regards,

aghast1
Got the disclaimer - thanks - you're one of the few people I've seen so adamant about BIS that's not on Aspect's payroll.

I don't recall that it took 3000 papers or 10-12 years to show the benefits of EKG's, SaO2, or EtCO2 monitoring. The fact that after this long it's still a hotly debated topic ought to indicate something to even a casual observer outside the medical field.

When I started in anesthesia, it was EKG, BP, and precordial. It took me about an hour of trying SaO2 and EtCO2 monitors when they first came out to be totally convinced they were worthwhile (I never read a study about either of them), and perhaps a month or two to be convinced that more often than not, the numbers were right and I wasn't. I've tried BIS for months in several different practice settings over the last few years and I just can't see that it makes any difference whatsoever. And hey, I love new toys and gadgets as much or more than most, but BIS just doesn't excite me.

On top of that there's the sleazy sales and PR tactics of Aspect, and their obnoxious and condescending sales reps that would rather just tell you you're stupid for not using BIS because "everyone else is" and "you'll get sued if you don't have it". Their reps just blow off questions and studies that indicate BIS is of little value - I think that's because they're only capable of regurgitating what they've been taught from Aspect and incapable of actually answering straightforward questions that are at odds with their company's propaganda line. We've never had a rep from any company for any product we use in the OR that we dislike more than the Aspect reps that have come through (and the physician "experts" they tote along with them).

Got the disclaimer - thanks - you're one of the few people I've seen so adamant about BIS that's not on Aspect's payroll.

I don't recall that it took 3000 papers or 10-12 years to show the benefits of EKG's, SaO2, or EtCO2 monitoring. The fact that after this long it's still a hotly debated topic ought to indicate something to even a casual observer outside the medical field.

When I started in anesthesia, it was EKG, BP, and precordial. It took me about an hour of trying SaO2 and EtCO2 monitors when they first came out to be totally convinced they were worthwhile (I never read a study about either of them), and perhaps a month or two to be convinced that more often than not, the numbers were right and I wasn't. I've tried BIS for months in several different practice settings over the last few years and I just can't see that it makes any difference whatsoever. And hey, I love new toys and gadgets as much or more than most, but BIS just doesn't excite me.

On top of that there's the sleazy sales and PR tactics of Aspect, and their obnoxious and condescending sales reps that would rather just tell you you're stupid for not using BIS because "everyone else is" and "you'll get sued if you don't have it". Their reps just blow off questions and studies that indicate BIS is of little value - I think that's because they're only capable of regurgitating what they've been taught from Aspect and incapable of actually answering straightforward questions that are at odds with their company's propaganda line. We've never had a rep from any company for any product we use in the OR that we dislike more than the Aspect reps that have come through (and the physician "experts" they tote along with them).

You are definitely missing many salient points:

" I don't recall that it took 3000 papers or 10-12 years to show the benefits of EKG's, SaO2, or EtCO2 monitoring. "

Maybe because vital signs are 'vital?' We have 'worshiped' trends in vital signs as a means of assessing depth of anesthesia. Hence, there is no challenge to our belief system.

Several issues with brain activity monitoring:

1) Brain activity monitoring challenges our most deeply held belief that trends in vital signs clue us in to depth of anesthesia.

2) Since we already 'know' how asleep the patient is, why would we want a monitor to 'tell' us? It's redundant, right.

3) Hey, we're not killing anybody, so what's the issue?

4) Pssst, don't say it too loudly, but, if they have a machine that can tell you how asleep the patient is, what would they want us for? :eek:(Luddite 2.3)

5) BIS won't put any more money in my pocket, why should I bother? No less call, no more vacation, no shorter workday. Besides, it's one more thing to learn and incorporate into my clinical pathway.

"I've tried BIS for months in several different practice settings over the last few years and I just can't see that it makes any difference whatsoever."

Gold star for trying:thumbup: but I doubt you tried trending EMG as a secondary trace. EMG gives you the ability to respond to instantaneous changes. I find it very useful in my practice.

"And hey, I love new toys and gadgets as much or more than most, but BIS just doesn't excite me. "

Dr. Gadget here. BIS excites me for the titration of my propofol. It's like taking an 'open book' test.

"... the sleazy sales and PR tactics of Aspect,..."

As an early technology adopter, I was never subjected to such behavior, assuming what you say is true and you've never lied to me before..

What part of being able to directly measure (OK, algorithm) the organ you are medicating is so difficult for you to imagine could be useful? Not perfect, but useful. If I had anything to do with the financial success of the company, I would apologize. Since I don't, I won't. As far as the different personalities one encounters in life, some sales reps are better than others, some anesthesiologists are better than others. C'est la guerre.

Yours for better published and reproducible outcomes,

aghast1