SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anesthesia Elective During TYP, Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by anestheticman, Jun 3, 2008.

Do a month of anesthesia as an intern and attempt to get a leg up on CA-1 year?

1. Yes, do a block of anesthesia and/or research in anesthesia

6 vote(s)
  2. No, you worked hard for a transitional year to relax and lay by the pool

6 vote(s)
  1. anestheticman

anestheticman ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I can do one month of anesthesia during my transitional year program, at my home hospital or a nearby university program of my choice... or even in another state if I take some time to set things up.

Is this a good idea in general or sort of just up to me?

Is there any advantage to doing extra well on the AKT that I will take when I get to my program?

My gut instinct is to honestly take it easy for these two elective months and do dermatology or radiology... as well as to not take the time and effort to set up an away rotation and attempt to impress anyone or network during my intern year. However, maybe I am making the wrong decision.

Also, what is the general consensus on a research project (something small that would most likely not result in a publication) in anesthesia during the intern year if the program allows for time to do this?

Please let me know what you did if you had the chance to do an elective in your given intern year program and/or a block of research for 4 weeks. Thank you!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick! 7+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Had a Cooch
    If you have a choice between a month in the OR v. medicine wards, by all means do the anesthesia.

If you have a choice between a month of anesthesia at an outside institution for which you will never work again v. sitting on your couch at home "learning" radiology, you should choose the latter and Netflix Sopranos, Lost and a half dozen movies.

Unless you are at your own institution, I don't think you'll learn enough clinically in one month to make much difference in the long run. If you're truly interested in getting ahead, schedule the rads rotation in late spring and spend your time reading Baby Miller.
  4. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 25, 2002
    Find out from your categorical program how soon you're expected to be flying on your own. I just had a bit of a rude awakening from mine saying we're expected to be running a room solo within 2-3 weeks at the hospital I'm starting at. I can't imagine doing that without having had a month of anesthesia in my intern year to brush off the cobwebs.

Now, if i knew I was going to be paired for six weeks no matter what, I may have considered doing something else like radiology for that month.
  5. jennyboo

jennyboo Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Anesthesia elective during internship is completely useless except for one purpose: To get outta the hospital before lunch and go to the beach. Which was exactly the reason I did it, and for that I have no regrets.

If you expect to learn anything, you'll be disappointed.

And hey, you will totally be able to sit in an OR by yourself between induction and extubation in 2-3 weeks, at least for short periods of time. Doing an extra month in internship won't help you with that.
  6. me454555

me454555 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 29, 2003
    New York
    Agree w/above

I did a 2 week anesthesia elective and I didn't get much outta it. There is no anesthesia residency @ my hospital so it was just me and the PP dudes. They didn't let me do much of anything aside from intubate the ladies w/no teeth