Anesthesia PGY2/CA1 track residency list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PJM46030

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I will be applying for the 2025 anesthesia match for a direct CA1 spot. I am interested to know if there is a specific list of residency programs which offer these spots under the reserved track? Or does it change with every year depending on their availability and I just have to go to their individual websites for the next match season.

Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

not sure what you mean by reserved?
There are categorical spots which is not what you are looking for (pgy1) and then there are advanced spots pgy2 (CA1)

OP means R spots. These are not planned spots and vary year to year. They only open up when a resident drops out, a program expands, or a new program opens.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yes I mean CA1 spots starting that year. I mean, if I apply this september 2024 and I start working as a CA1/PGY2 directly in June 2025.
I a currently finishing up my peds fellowship and wanting to switch/combine paths by doing anesthesia after.

From what I understand, 'advanced' spots CA1 will be starting 15 months after you match, correct? For ex, in June 2026 if we apply for the september 2024 cycle

Last edited:
OP means R spots. These are not planned spots and vary year to year. They only open up when a resident drops out, a program expands, or a new program opens.
Is there an average estimate of such spots every year?