anesthesia positions- 2004 match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecf1975do

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
after checking the NRMP website 2 times this week, a few programs I am ranking have increased the number of spots they have for july 2005. I guess nothing is written in stone till jan 30th for spots per program. it is my understanding that a program has to get approval from the ACGME to do this. the total number of gas spots increased by 100 in last years match. hopefully the number of total spots wont rise again this year??? wont this obviously affect the job market 4 years from now??

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding, a program may have ACGME approval for more spots than they wish to use. For example, a program may have approval for 12 spots, but only want to use 10 of them for whatever reason (ie, not enough teaching attendings, wanting to keep a smaller size, not enough OR space, etc.) So, also in this case, if a program wanted to squeeze an extra person in that they truly liked, then this would not be a problem. Otherwise, I think they would have to go through the approval process. Nothing is set until January 30th.

ecf1975do -- which programs did you notice increased their number of spots?