anesthesia research during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a PGY1 interested in pursuing pain fellowship. I was wondering if any anesthesiology research would be impactful for my pain fellowship application or do programs only care about research specifically pertaining to the field of pain medicine?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a PGY1 interested in pursuing pain fellowship. I was wondering if any anesthesiology research would be impactful for my pain fellowship application or do programs only care about research specifically pertaining to the field of pain medicine?

Thank you.

I'm not involved in any pain fellowship admissions committee, but have many friends who are. From our discussions, some research in anesthesia is better than no research. Most pain programs want academic candidates who have some background in research. In general, many fellowship programs require an academic project of some kind. Of course having pain-specific research is definitely a bonus.

Thank you, I have been having a lot of trouble finding opportunities to be involved in pain related research, but am involved in some general anesthesia projects.