Anesthesia residency program case numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manseeksresidency

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

MS4 applying for anesthesia residency this cycle.

Is there a standardized way to see case numbers by program? (for example, how many cardiac/regional/peds/etc. cases the average resident does)

On their websites, programs either post these numbers in convoluted ways (for example, x-fold more cardiac cases than the average anes. residency) or don't discuss them at all. I know the ACGME collects this data, is it publicly available anywhere? Just looking for an objective measure not related to reputation/word-of-mouth.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

MS4 applying for anesthesia residency this cycle.

Is there a standardized way to see case numbers by program? (for example, how many cardiac/regional/peds/etc. cases the average resident does)

On their websites, programs either post these numbers in convoluted ways (for example, x-fold more cardiac cases than the average anes. residency) or don't discuss them at all. I know the ACGME collects this data, is it publicly available anywhere? Just looking for an objective measure not related to reputation/word-of-mouth.

Thank you

You’ll get enough numbers to graduate. What else do you need to know? You can also ask when you’re there for interview. Unless you will turn down interviews based on this information you’re seeking, it’s an non-issue.

Reactions: 3 users
case numbers aren’t ****.

Go someplace known for complicated cases, medium to medium-high hours, a culture of teaching, and autonomy that advances each year of training.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll get enough numbers to graduate. What else do you need to know? You can also ask when you’re there for interview. Unless you will turn down interviews based on this information you’re seeking, it’s an non-issue.

Some programs get all their cardiac numbers doing community bread and butter CABG or valves and the residents never even lay eyes on a transplant, LVAD, or ECMO let alone do one of those cases.

Some programs get all their peds numbers with circumcisions and T&As while the CRNAs do all the NEC, CDH, TEF, scoli, and hearts.

As the other poster said, numbers [alone] don't mean ****.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks everyone. I see the limited utility of case numbers; as I said, it just seems hard to get a fair assessment of a program's rigor that doesn't feel like hearsay, reputation, or doximity rankings.

& I see that this is kind of a moot point as I've already applied, and probably best to just ask in an interview and/or individual residents.

Well everyone has only been in one program so it's hard to judge. Just need to go by reputation and cases they do. Even if you're in a "top" residency, if you're getting pushed aside by SRNAs and CRNAs for procedures and cases then what's the point?

Reactions: 1 users