Anesthesiologist Fined: What Are The Guidelines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medpsych1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in anesthesiology. I read this story (see link) below about an anesthesiologist who was fined by the New Hampshire Medical Board for having an intimate relationship with a nurse.

My questions are:
1) What are the rules as far as dating a coworker in relation to medical board guidelines?
2) If an anesthesiologist is requested to do a case on a patient does that mean they can never date that person or is there a time limit?

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/901162-196/doctor-nh-board-settle-over-claims.html

Members don't see this ad.

Odd case. You've got to be careful about dipping your pen into company ink. However, I can't help but think that if the nurse was never his patient it would be a non issue. Physician/nurse relationships are not exactly a new concept.;). I would be extremely cautious about having a relationship with a former patient.

I am interested in anesthesiology. I read this story (see link) below about an anesthesiologist who was fined by the New Hampshire Medical Board for having an intimate relationship with a nurse.

My questions are:
1) What are the rules as far as dating a coworker in relation to medical board guidelines?
2) If an anesthesiologist is requested to do a case on a patient does that mean they can never date that person or is there a time limit?

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/901162-196/doctor-nh-board-settle-over-claims.html

Dating patients is a ginormous no-no. One thing that is slightly different with anesthesiologists is that you don't have the same extended physician-patient relationships that you would have as a FP, medicine, surgery, OB, psych, etc. Thus, you could debate when the physician-patient relationship ends. But really, the ratio of bad:good outcomes is pretty high, and with so many fish in the sea, why bother?

Dating co-workers is slightly different, though the power dynamics are similar. Dating laterally is usually OK (such as dating a co-worker can be), dating up or down can run into similar problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dating co-workers is slightly different, though the power dynamics are similar. Dating laterally is usually OK (such as dating a co-worker can be), dating up or down can run into similar problems.

But I thought nurses were now equal to doctors, so there shouldn't be any power dynamics.

But I thought nurses were now equal to doctors, so there shouldn't be any power dynamics.

Touche.

But to clarify for the OP, by power dynamics I basically meant money, not education level. Dating your boss or your employee even if you're both physicians is far and away more complicated than dating a nurse in an entirely separate organizational chart. I'm guessing the doctor/nurse problem was more of an issue when physicians ran their own practices and hired their own nursing staff.

When the relationship ended, the nurse “became distraught and reported their relationship to her supervisor,” according to the allegations.

hmm mm hmm. :eyebrow:

vengeful a little are we?

and what disciplinary actions did she face?

:barf:

-pod