Anesthesiologist question on your ortho preferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverikk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello bone bad boys! I'm an anesthesiologist who has worked at a high volume total joint center of excellence, usually 5-8 total joints/day/OR out by 4/5 with some pretty excellent/good-natured surgeons I'd let operate on my family. Everything was for the most part efficient, almost everyone who was a good candidate had a spinal, possible regional vs. surgeon injecting exparel (more likely injection), 25 min turnovers. I'm at a place now where the surgeon preferences are more variable (regional with general, spinal, general only without infiltration etc.) and is more disorganized (1 v. 2 doses TXA, toradol vs not).

My question: is there some high regarded evidence/recommendations/guidelines about total hips and knees you can lay on me? I'm familiar with the anesthesia evidence but I want to know what you all look at for making these decisions. We have multiple surgeons from different groups and the workflow could be more consistent. Are there other factors that have changed your practice (urinary retention, PT participation etc.). I love my time in the total joint room with the music blasting (although minus the frigid conditions). If you have any anesthesia questions I'd be happy to answer as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello bone bad boys! I'm an anesthesiologist who has worked at a high volume total joint center of excellence, usually 5-8 total joints/day/OR out by 4/5 with some pretty excellent/good-natured surgeons I'd let operate on my family. Everything was for the most part efficient, almost everyone who was a good candidate had a spinal, possible regional vs. surgeon injecting exparel (more likely injection), 25 min turnovers. I'm at a place now where the surgeon preferences are more variable (regional with general, spinal, general only without infiltration etc.) and is more disorganized (1 v. 2 doses TXA, toradol vs not).

My question: is there some high regarded evidence/recommendations/guidelines about total hips and knees you can lay on me? I'm familiar with the anesthesia evidence but I want to know what you all look at for making these decisions. We have multiple surgeons from different groups and the workflow could be more consistent. Are there other factors that have changed your practice (urinary retention, PT participation etc.). I love my time in the total joint room with the music blasting (although minus the frigid conditions). If you have any anesthesia questions I'd be happy to answer as well.

Look into the AAOS guidelines on their website.