anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pete3090

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok , well i just turned 18,, and im starting college nowm im getting my associates in science, and then doing a transfer i guess.. i dont know much about what im going to have to do or go through but if you other anesthesiologist could give me some pointers or any advice id appreciat it alot.

how many years of college do i go through? whats it going to be like? how long until i be makin the big bucks? i know its going to be hard but its something i want to do and im going to stick at it and keep trying until i complete my goal!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Pete,
You picked an appropriate name since you will be at least 30 before you make any money and the average salary by then will be $90K. If you could somehow incorporate $200K in debt into your username, you would have the trifecta.

Seriously though, use the search feature and find all of this info and more. There are some good posts out there that you need to read before pursuing this line of work. If you read those and are still interested, then go for it. Best of luck.

Pete,
You picked an appropriate name since you will be at least 30 before you make any money and the average salary by then will be $90K. If you could somehow incorporate $200K in debt into your username, you would have the trifecta.

:laugh:

Nice work.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok , well i just turned 18,, and im starting college nowm im getting my associates in science, and then doing a transfer i guess.. i dont know much about what im going to have to do or go through but if you other anesthesiologist could give me some pointers or any advice id appreciat it alot.

how many years of college do i go through? whats it going to be like? how long until i be makin the big bucks? i know its going to be hard but its something i want to do and im going to stick at it and keep trying until i complete my goal!:)

LMFAO..

First off..I think this is a joke post, but just in case it's not, I'll respond.

Well, you're going to a BA..not an associates if I recall correctly. That's 4 years of undergrad, you don't have to major in any science though, you just have to pass the required courses; which I don't feel like listing.

You'd go through 4 years of undergrad + 4 years of med school + 4 year of internship/residency.

In residency you'll make around 30-40 thousand a year, and work 70-80 hours a week.

Then after all of that you'll finally be making a good wage, of course not without 150,000-250,000K in student debt, and most of your 20's wasted in a library or hospital(they call it residency because you'll practically be living in the hospital. )

Listen, if you're in it just for the money, atleast do some research. They're plently of BA degrees that can provide for enough money, without wasting so much time and money.

P.S Do you even know exactly what Anesthesiologist do? I suggest you shadow one, to figure out exactly what our work days are like. It's not like on T.V shows.

It's not like on T.V shows.

Right...usually on TV shows the anesthesiologist is the pudgy, lazy, bitter guy who's asleep in the OR with a syringe of fentanyl in his arm.

Right...usually on TV shows the anesthesiologist is the pudgy, lazy, bitter guy who's asleep in the OR with a syringe of fentanyl in his arm.

Well, at least that accounts for about 30% of our profession... :rolleyes:

-copro

Do you even know what an anesthesiologist does?:rolleyes: