Anesthesiologists less stressed than CRNAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jope

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found this interesting article ranking stress of jobs-t

Urologists are the most stressed of all workers. We rank pretty low at 87 even less than nurse anesthetists (96) - I guess we are either well trained and don’t feel stressed or this is just a crappy survey.

I would agree I wouldn’t enjoy my job as much if I had to look at people’s junk all the time.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Found this interesting article ranking stress of jobs-t

Urologists are the most stressed of all workers. We rank pretty low at 87 even less than nurse anesthetists (96) - I guess we are either well trained and don’t feel stressed or this is just a crappy survey.

I would agree I wouldn’t enjoy my job as much if I had to look at people’s junk all the time.

In another article it says 77% of urologists have been sued. I think that’s much higher than anesthesia.

It also says they make 208k so I don’t trust much of what they say

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
giphy.gif

I had 2 mediocre at best CRNAs I was supervising yesterday and running the board, I barely left the rooms because they were so bad. So uh it's way more stressful being an anesthesiologist

Reactions: 2 users
I had 2 mediocre at best CRNAs I was supervising yesterday and running the board, I barely left the rooms because they were so bad. So uh it's way more stressful being an anesthesiologist

If the CRNAs are not good at their job, it’s probably stressful for them too…lol

Reactions: 1 users
If the CRNAs are not good at their job, it’s probably stressful for them too…lol
Well it's hard to be stressed when you don't know what you don't know... Like running Remi at 0.25 on a spine case with neuromonitoring and wondering why the pressures are in the toilet

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Why would they be stressed? Anything goes wrong just hit the panic button by calling the doc. If no anesthesiologist, well the surgeon’s in charge I’m just a nurse.

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
Well it's hard to be stressed when you don't know what you don't know... Like running Remi at 0.25 on a spine case with neuromonitoring and wondering why the pressures are in the toilet
The other day I had a CRNA do something like that during an EVAR then start bolusing epinephrine "for the pressure" - all without telling me of course. They were not stressed out about it, yet I was very stressed. However they then became very stressed out about their relief at 5pm. I left at 3am.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
The other day I had a CRNA do something like that during an EVAR then start bolusing epinephrine "for the pressure" - all without telling me of course. They were not stressed out about it, yet I was very stressed. However they then became very stressed out about their relief at 5pm. I left at 3am.
It's just human nature. It's about where the buck stops.

As long as a CRNA knows that they are not ultimately responsible, that they are never truly solo, that there is always the safety net of the anesthesiologist, of course they will have a different level of stress. Even a resident has more stress than they have. It's a very cushy job, beyond the physical part.

I would love to have another anesthesiologist take all the blame for my mistakes, see all my patients, do all the paperwork, all the blocks, all the advanced lines, deal with PACU issues etc. TEFRA rules must have been invented by a CRNA.

Last edited by a moderator:
CRNAs- Biggest disgrace to the field of Anesthesiology

Reactions: 1 users
The scariest part is when they don’t know they don’t know

There are good crnas but there are also very bad crnas. Probably went to online school for a good chunk.

The scariest part is when they don’t know they don’t know

There are good crnas but there are also very bad crnas. Probably went to online school for a good chunk.
It's called (e-)Doctor of Nursing Practice.

Why would they be stressed? Anything goes wrong just hit the panic button by calling the doc. If no anesthesiologist, well the surgeon’s in charge I’m just a nurse.

Ever wonder why all these unsupervised CRNAs work in podunk places doing simple cases? Because they don't want the scrutiny or the tough cases that require deviation from a basic anesthetic.

Ever wonder why all these unsupervised CRNAs work in podunk places doing simple cases? Because they don't want the scrutiny or the tough cases that require deviation from a basic anesthetic.

I think it’s more so because the places with tougher don’t allow independent practice