RDickerson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Denton, Tx
Status
Pre-Medical
From what I've read on the boards and on here, it seems that Anesthesiology is on the rise. Does this mean that there will be a deflation in pay for Anesthesiologists? I thought residencies only took so many people, so shouldn't the number be constant or are residencies required to accept under a certain criteria?

If Anesthesiology does hit a sharp incline, is it probable to say it will go back to normal in a few years? Has this trend happend before? HOw many more questions will I have? :)

Seriously though, this board is great, I appreciate all the feedback I'm getting, it makes this process just that much easier.

Added edit: Also, I've seen CA-3 get jobs in hospitals. At what level (officially) can you work as a state-approved Anesthesiologist.

Added edit #2: Wow, these questions keep popping into my head. Anyhow, if a student were to graduate from a Medical School under the combined B.A./D.O or B.A./M.D. program graduating seven years instead of the usual eight how would THAT affect residency. As long as grades are up and scores are high, does it really make a difference?

--Ryan

D

dave262

Pay is going to fall dramatically in the next couple years. Gas residents are going to work 80+ hours 12 months a year with Q2 call. No prestige. Nurses doing the exact same thing as you for less. Pretty soon its all going to be done by teleanesthesiologists in Islamabad. You wont get a job and hot blonde chicks will avoid you like the plaugue. 20 years from now you'll drive a beat up 1973 toyota tercell, and those of you that were married before match will be divorced and lonely. Most likely, you'll end up addicted to fentanyl trying to sell your body on the streets of LA for another hit.

Its horrible. If you are going to go into gas DONT APPLY for the 2006 match!

Especially not in texas - Cause thats where I want to go.

asdash

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
Can dave262's response be added to the FAQ? :)

To RDickerson: I can't see how doing a 7 year BA/MD program would affect your residency prospects positively or negatively. Prognosticating what any physician is going to make 10 years down the road is pretty difficult, so take any predictions with a grain of salt.

My 2 cents.

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
In a world all my own.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
dave262 said:
Pay is going to fall dramatically in the next couple years. Gas residents are going to work 80+ hours 12 months a year with Q2 call. No prestige. Nurses doing the exact same thing as you for less. Pretty soon its all going to be done by teleanesthesiologists in Islamabad. You wont get a job and hot blonde chicks will avoid you like the plaugue. 20 years from now you'll drive a beat up 1973 toyota tercell, and those of you that were married before match will be divorced and lonely. Most likely, you'll end up addicted to fentanyl trying to sell your body on the streets of LA for another hit.

lol! :thumbup:

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
dave262 said:

Tercell? Easy there high roller. I'm worken on laying out the payments for my bile green Gremlin sans hubcaps.