Anesthesiology residency lifestyle and hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpat81

yup
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i am very interested in going into anesthesiology, but am very confused and worried about residency hours and lifestyle because of their involvement in the OR, etc. By being alongside surgeons, i can only speculate that call schedules and hours are probably similarly bad...but a bit less than surgery. how early do the anesthesiology residents show up and when do they leave? how often is call? i guess im asking anyone that is a resident or anyone that has a good knowldge base of anesthesiology residency. thaNKS...

Members don't see this ad.

I show up at 6:30 to 6:45 for a 7:30 start. Call ranges from 3x per month to 6-7. I'm working somewhere between 65-70 hours per week with occasional worse weeks. Better than surgery. Better than internal medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there ways to make part-time or 3/4 time happen in gas?

Typical day in the general OR is 6am-5 or 6pm, though it's not uncommon to get stuck until past 8pm even when you're not on call. Call is roughly once a week in the GOR pool, average 60-65 hours/week in the GOR, about 2 weekends off per month.

On our pedi service, call is more like q4-q5 (but home call) and hours are 6a-6p for the most part. Still about 60-65 hours/week.

MICU is the killer, q3 call and, depending on how thorough/OCD you are, work hours are at the 80 hours/week mark, if not over.

This is my program.

intern yr: 5 floor mo, 2 unit mo, 4 elective (Card, pulm, integ med, ER), and 1 anesthesia mo.

ca-1: NO CALL and NO WEEKENDS (don't hate), 600-1800 Mon-Fri. Meeting for journal club, or some other fxn 1 sat every other mo.

ca-2: 2-3 calls/mo, 1 weekend. 600-1500

ca-3: 2-3 calls/mo, 1 weekend. 600-1700

6 total ICU months, at Q4.
2-4 months of cushy electives ca-3, where you start at 700, and are home by 1500, with no call.

So, all in all, it's about 60 hr/wk, 2 calls/mo, and no weekends... roughly.

lvspro said:
This is my program.

intern yr: 5 floor mo, 2 unit mo, 4 elective (Card, pulm, integ med, ER), and 1 anesthesia mo.

ca-1: NO CALL and NO WEEKENDS (don't hate), 600-1800 Mon-Fri. Meeting for journal club, or some other fxn 1 sat every other mo.

ca-2: 2-3 calls/mo, 1 weekend. 600-1500

ca-3: 2-3 calls/mo, 1 weekend. 600-1700

6 total ICU months, at Q4.
2-4 months of cushy electives ca-3, where you start at 700, and are home by 1500, with no call.

So, all in all, it's about 60 hr/wk, 2 calls/mo, and no weekends... roughly.

Please do tell what program.....

Exorbitant said:
Please do tell what program.....

Sure...

Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center.

Our only glaring weakness is transplant. Even so, we have a hospital about 1/2 mile away that's pretty well known across the country for transplant (Henry Ford), that happens to use us for their peds rotations b/c our peds is just that friggin good. This pretty much opens the doors for us to get a few transplant rotations, if we so desire. I feel safe saying this b/c I already asked our rotation coordinator if this was a possibility.
On the other hand, our regional/pain mgmt is quite strong. The surgeons here love us b/c their pt's are so happy with the pain control after a pretty painful surgery, like a total hip. Our chairmen is pretty active in residents getting strong experience in regional/pain b/c the new ortho center downtown. So, what he'll do, if you want, is pull you from an asa 1 lap choley to insert a cath or two, then let you go back and relieve the CRNA. Pretty cool deal if you like procedures.

It was my #1, b/c I don't mind working in detroit.

Anyone know anything about the schedule at Case Western or Cleveland Clinic?

From what I remember from interviews, Case Western's schedule is on the cush side. Cleveland Clinic's is not. Probably get good training either way.