Anesthesiology & Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted112134

Hi everyone,

I'm a Pre-med and still thinking about my two favorite fields: Anesthesiology and Surgery. I would be thankful if someone could answer these questions for me:

1/ what are the duties of an anesthesiologist?

2/ do anesthesiologists also perform surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm a Pre-med and still thinking about my two favorite fields: Anesthesiology and Surgery. I would be thankful if someone could answer these questions for me:

1/ what are the duties of an anesthesiologist?

2/ do anesthesiologists also perform surgery?

yeah check they stickies at the top of the anesthesia forum. you'll get the full explanation for #1.

2/ No. Anesthesiologists don't perform surgery. They perform multiple procedures though. Check the stickies.

If you really want to know what it's about you can shadow an Anesthesiologist. This would most likely count as part of your "hospital experience" when applying to medical school. Although, back when I was applying it was smarter to have them believe that you wanted to do primary care in an underserved area.

At this stage in your career you should focus on making all A's and killing the MCAT. You'll have plenty of time to figure out the rest later.