Anesthiology Cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazinfury

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen anesthesiologists in operating rooms and the cases that I observed, they seemed to be very chill and a tad bored. Is it because the hardest part of an anesthesiologists getting the patient to fall asleep at the very start of the procedure and then monitoring his/her vital signs throughout? What is the toughest cases that an anesthesiologist can get? Is the job difficult compared to that of a surgeon? How are hours-- flexible? I have also heard that most anesthesiologist don't get called.

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen anesthesiologists in operating rooms and the cases that I observed, they seemed to be very chill and a tad bored. Is it because the hardest part of an anesthesiologists getting the patient to fall asleep at the very start of the procedure and then monitoring his/her vital signs throughout? What is the toughest cases that an anesthesiologist can get? Is the job difficult compared to that of a surgeon? How are hours-- flexible? I have also heard that most anesthesiologist don't get called.

Check the FAQ threads you will learn a lot

"Hours of boredom, moments of terror." Aptly put.

The ASA/ABA symbol is the lighthouse. You have to keep a constant vigil in the OR for bad things that can happen. Case in point: I had a 37-year-old truck driver in for an ex fix of his tibia. Routine case, right? Guy had an MI during the case. If I hadn't been paying attention to the ST segment changes - and appropriately treated them - who knows what might have happened. Still, he bumped his troponins.

If I hadn't been paying attention, keeping the vigil, this might have gone unnoticed. As it stands, we had a long talk following the procedure, I got him referred to a cardiologist for appropriate follow-up, and proper medication and lifestyle changes will probably give the guy a better longterm prognosis. Also came to find out afterwards that his dad died in his early 50's of a massive MI.

It's the little things that count in anesthesiology.

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the FAQs and browse this column frequently and you will find your answers.

An anesthesiologist puts together an appropriate anesthetic plan based upon the patient's current medical condition and past medical history. He/she also anticipates, monitors for, and acts to correct the hundreds of physiologic derangements and potential disasters that may occur during surgery.

That's the art of the specialty and the hardest part.

The mechanical aspects that we're known best for (airway management and skill with sticking people with needles for various reasons) is much easier.

I have seen anesthesiologists in operating rooms and the cases that I observed, they seemed to be very chill and a tad BORED. Is it because the hardest part of an anesthesiologists getting the patient to fall asleep at the very start of the procedure and then monitoring his/her vital signs throughout? What is the toughest cases that an anesthesiologist can get? Is the job difficult compared to that of a surgeon? How are hours-- flexible? I have also heard that most anesthesiologist don't get called.

Everythings relative, Dude.

BORED to us is SPHINCTER-TIGHTENING-CLAMMY-HANDS-INDUCING for many specialties.

My (now an Army MP) son used to be scared of thunder storms.

I used to tell him

"Its OK, Evan. Really! Dads not scared! Hear the thunder? NO BIG DEAL, RIGHT? Dads still not scared, right?"....

"Son, I'LL TELL YOU IF I'M SCARED. AND IF I TELL YOU I'M SCARED, THEN, AND ONLY THEN, YOU NEED TO BE SCARED TOO."

I told him that when he was five.

He still remembers it. Has quoted it on several occasions.

How true that rings for the OR environment as well.

Last edited: