Angle Ranking help???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samin23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been studying for my DAT for 3 weeks now, and I can't seem to get a hold of angle ranking. I try to compare the two smaller angles with each other, and the two larger angles with each other, but I end up getting the wrong answer 80% of the time and a huge strain on my eyes from staring for so long. I have tried the "Hill" technique and the Laptop technique to no avail.

Does anyone have any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been studying for my DAT for 3 weeks now, and I can't seem to get a hold of angle ranking. I try to compare the two smaller angles with each other, and the two larger angles with each other, but I end up getting the wrong answer 80% of the time and a huge strain on my eyes from staring for so long. I have tried the "Hill" technique and the Laptop technique to no avail.

Does anyone have any tips?
Compare the angles to a 90 degree one or to a isosceles triangle.

I swear by the moving eyes back and forth rapidly technique and going with your first instinct.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I swear by the moving eyes back and forth rapidly technique and going with your first instinct.
That's why I do also. But I think that's an ability you have or you don't. That was the easiest section for me.

That's why I do also. But I think that's an ability you have or you don't. That was the easiest section for me.

Yeah...that's an ability I don't have lol. It's just so frustrating to me.

Yeah...that's an ability I don't have lol. It's just so frustrating to me.
The only thing i can say its practice a lot. DATbootcamp is The best. Play with the generators also.

Same. Angle ranking was the easiest PAT section for me, followed closely by cube counting. I just liked angle ranking more because of how quickly I could finish it.

Now, TFE... screw TFE.

Reactions: 1 user
Same. Angle ranking was the easiest PAT section for me, followed closely by cube counting. I just liked angle ranking more because of how quickly I could finish it.

Now, TFE... screw TFE.
Exactly the same here

I can't do the eye thing either.
I was horrible at it but I've been practicing at least 15 q's a day for the past 2 weeks and it got better.
I compared them at 90 degrees and see which one has more past/below that mark. :)
I think really just practicing and seeing what works for you is best!

Now, TFE... screw TFE.
I'm totally the opposite. TFE I get 90% correct and angle ranking.. Basically whatever I think is right is always wrong

I'm totally the opposite. TFE I get 90% correct and angle ranking.. Basically whatever I think is right is always wrong
That's too funny. I almost always got TFE wrong. On the real DAT, I actually skipped those questions and had to come back because I was freaking out over how I couldn't solve them.

Does anyone else think hole-punch is the easiest? I thought it was hard but the line-of-symmetry method works 99% of the time and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread

Does anyone else think hole-punch is the easiest? I thought it was hard but the line-of-symmetry method works 99% of the time and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread
I thought that 95% of them were easy but every now and then, I would come across one with like a million half punches and was like "screw this".

If I had to rank each section from easiest to hardest for me, it would be:
  1. Angle ranking
  2. Cube counting
  3. Hole punching
  4. Keyholes
  5. Pattern folding
  6. TFE

The method @fogorvostan mentioned works well for me too. Well, I went from 2/15 to 9/15 once I started doing that ha. what I do is look at the answer choices 1st.
For example, if the answer looks like this: " 3<2<1<4

I look at 3 and 2 1st. I think, "Which one looks smallest/largest?" Then I proceed to blink like a mad man while looking away from the screen. I repeat it til I can get a feel of what I think is right. Write down the order for the first 2. Now look at the last 2 (1 and 4). Say, "Which one looks smallest/largest?" Blink a couple thousand times while looking away and then look back. Repeat until you feel an answer in your gut. Write it down. Click and pray.

Does that make sense? lol

I would quickly decide and choose the two smallest angles and then stare at each angle point to see which one "has the most white". So the bigger angle tip would have the most white.... I hope that makes sense. I struggled practicing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app