1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

angle ranking - pencil trick?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by jeezy, May 9, 2007.

1. jeezy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ive read people elude to a trick involving your the tip of your pencil, but i cant imagine what it would be.. can anyone share the secret?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DailyDrivenTJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Process of elimination will eliminate majority of wrong answers.

Don't second guess. Try using your gut feeling, :D that got me 23 PAT.

I don't know how you would do pencil trick when the lines are in different length and have enough time to go through the whole thing.

4. Mila

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Trying to do angle ranking with a pencil will take up way more time than you should be spending on it in the first place. Furthermore, I think that now, most testing centers only offer markers to write with on those boards and no pencils- for the very reason that test takers were using pencils as a "trick" in the angle ranking section.

5. Doogie Howser

Doogie Howser practicing since age 12
    5+ Year Member

even though you can't use the pencil tip anymore, you can use two sheets they give you to make the angle and compare... but only do that on ones that you are really stuck on, otherwise it will take too much time

6. BabberSher

BabberSher an Army of Darkness fan
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    This might sound strange ---> But, for the angle ranking section, i thought of all of the angles as car seats... So picture urself trying to fit into the angle; if u were sitting in it... and out of all the other options it seemed to be the least comfortable, then that one will be the first one on the multiple choice list (and so on, and so on... so the one that looks like a nice relaxing beach chair would be last on the list). I don't know, this kinda helped me out.

For the really tough options, just trust ur gut and go with it. When u become a dentist and ur working at the chair... i think in the end ur just gonna have to trust urself, make a decisions & go with it. Hope this helps, i'm not a dentist (i did score in the 93% on the PAT)... so just take what i said with a major grain of salt. :) ;) :)

7. delsol7

2+ Year Member

I actually folded the laminated marker board and matched on the screen. :laugh:

8. lotexigeus

lotexigeus Master Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    trust your gut
    <-- 99th percentile

9. Sbosu

Sbosu Member
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    thats one hell of a gut

10. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Just look at them and quickly make a decision. That's what I did, and it got my the 97th percentile

11. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    stop wasting your time using tricks, you'll just end up wasting more time than you have to. Start out with finding the smallest and the largest angles first and go from there.

12. delsol7

2+ Year Member

But some of the questions are not that easy to distinguish with bare eyes. Most of them, you can get good answers by elimination but some are very hard to tell the difference.