angle ranking techniques?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SupahShyGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soo PAT is perhaps one of the more hit/miss sections of the DAT. For some, its fun, but some its a load of steaming poop. I kinda describe myself as the former.

Its fun until I get to angle rankings. I seem to look and try to guess what it is on the first try, but I end up second-guessing myself and then some. I've tried using techniques like covering up some of the angle, fitting the angles within each other, and even measuring the distances between lines.

I seem to be getting 10/15, 11/15, 9/15 on the CDP tests and it pisses me off. LOL

Any advice?

Thanks in advance fellow SDNers!

Members don't see this ad.

Angles are like girls you dont wana stair at them for tooo long thats when you start mixing **** up.....have you tired looking at them as lap tops it helped me alot.

This trick was by somebody else but think of one line as straight line and other as slope...n try to do it every single day...

What happened to me was i kept doing it when i bought CDP. Then I was reading science n doing maths and all so i stopped doing PAT section and guess what I lost my ability to do angles :eek: I used to get 15 out of 15 then i just lost it lol 11/15 or 10/15...wiered eh

Members don't see this ad :)
this was my personal strategy and it worked for me. there were some problems that i could easily discern based on either the smallest or the largest angles and eliminating other choices, and most other i could bring down to 2 choices. at which point i would stare at my 2 choices endlessly and pick one that i thought was right. turns out, it was always wrong. so i kept doing the same thing and tried to figure out which was the right choice of the two, and then always picked the opposite one. that worked for me loll

My strategy has been to base the rankings on the answer choices given.

Example:If the angle 4 is listed 3 times as the largest angle, I will assume that it is the largest and not worry about comparing it. I next look at the choices for the smallest angle. If angle 3 is listed twice and angle 2 is listed twice, I will assume that these angles have the smallest difference and thus will follow each other on the final answer. This means angle 1 will be third in ranking once the smallest angle is determined. Therefore on some questions I only have to compare two angles to get the right answer. Also, I always double check my final answers with the angles to be sure there are no obvious outliers or mistakes.

I have only used this strategy on CDP and my scores have increased dramatically. I used to get 8-10 by trying to determine the angles in my head. With this strategy I am consistently getting 13-14 on angle rankings and can usually finish the section within 5-6 minutes.

This strategy doesn't with EVERY question, so it's always a good idea double check your derived answer with the given angles to make sure there are no outliers or obvious size differences.

Please note that I have only tried this only on CDP and not any other test or DAT exam. Therefore, I could just be exploiting a flaw on CDP. This might not work for you, just letting you know what helped me.

Hope this helps

wow angle rankings are my favorite, I get perfect scores on all sample test when it comes to angle ranking. The way I approach it is this..

So you have 2 sticks per angle that make a v shape. Sometimes in some of the questions you will see 1 stick of one angle pointed in the same direction as another stick in another angle. When you notice that all you have to do is compare the other stick attached to it with the other stick in the other angle by seeing which one extends farther. Once you find out that one angle is bigger than the other you can easily cross out the wrong answers.

yeah angle rankings used to be so easy for me too! i don't know what happened now that i've been stressing other components of the DAT..

I also like the PAT section of the test except for the angles. Some people say the angles on the real test are easier than practice ones, but I actually thought they were harder (I only used Topscore for practice, though). My strategy was basically to get through the angles quickly. I found that just marking my first guess down was just as effective as if I studied them for a while, so I just get through that section quickly so I have time to go back and check the other sections and do really well on them. I honestly thought I got about half the angle questions wrong on the real test and I ended up getting a 22 PAT, which I was happy with. The other sections are very do-able, so I think this strategy worked well.

I absolutely HATE angles! I used to be good when I first took my DATs but now I'm horrible! I only get about 7-8/15 on CDP.. what to do what to do.. Its completely bringing down my score. I do well on the other sections which allows me to maintain 20-21 but its driving me crazy bc I know I can bring it up by fixing my angle skill. Any other suggestions? HELP! I have it in a couple days!