Animal behavior focused schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mo309

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any schools that have a particular focus on animal behavior/the human-animal bond within their program ideologies. I get the feeling that WSU does, simply because of the former dean Leo Bustad who is well known within the animal cognition community. If anyone knows of any other programs that tend to focus on this within their programs, please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Required behavior class (covers SA, LA, and exotic species) in the core curriculum here at NCSU. Low-stress handling is emphasized from day 1, and its practice is reinforced on the clinic floor. NCSU has a dedicated behavior service, as well as a residency program. I can't speak for other schools, but I would guess this is pretty typical for modern curricula.

Illinois has some behavior classes sprinkled through first year, a behavior club, and a behavior service up in Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio State is huge on low-stress handling and there is a behavior class first semester of first year. There’s also behavior electives. There’s a boarded behaviorist on faculty and she’s wonderful. There’s also a behavior club.