animal careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cantaluna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am looking to going back to school and interested in a career other than becoming a veterinarian. I would like to do research in which I can help animals by maybe coming up with treatment to help those that are sick. Something to that affect. Although I believe I would like to do research in helping animals I have no idea where to look for this information (such as schools, titles of this choice, etc.) Any information will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I've spent the last two years doing research full time and I did considerable amounts of research while in undergrad. I am a Research Tech, which requires a BS or lots of comparable experience in the field. I'm not sure what position you want to be, but my job basically entails actually carrying out the experiments that the PhD, whose lab it is, wants done. If you want to do more, obviously you'll want to go to grad school and get a PhD. It's actually pretty hard to break into research if you don't have a background in it. If you are close to a university, I'd recommend volunteering at a lab that is willing to teach you stuff. This is also a good idea because research is definitely not for everyone and you need to be certain it is what you want. If you have a bleeding heart for animals, it probably isn't what you want. Also, another point of research is that things rarely go smoothly and easily and you don't get to see the results of your labor immediately. The main point is just to get whatever experience you can.

Hope this helps.

I've worked as a vet tech for over five years, both in private practice and in research facilities. If you can get experience working as a VT and then work in a research university lab where they conduct procedures with animals you can get a feel for if that path is for you. i worked in a lab where i actually got to do sugery on animals. getting a job as a vet tech at a major research university enables you to see lots of different procedures, participate in research yourself, and see if that's the type of work you want to do.