Animal experience vs. Veterinary Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Germadirk123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand how different school require animal experience, and other schools require veterinary experience, but I need some in deciding on what animal experience is good!

I currently work at a small-animal clinic, and I have been working there since 07. I'm hoping to volunteer with a large animal veterinarian over the summer, but now this is where my problems lies; what exactly is animal experience? Is it where you volunteer at a shelter?

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for me?

Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There seems to be some overlap in the Answers section. This is pretty much the exact same question. Is there a way to keep it 'clean'? If it becomes cluttered like the forum, then it's going to be pretty much worthless. If people wanted to spend time searching for something on their own, they'd already be doing so here.

Aha! Our first opportunity to refer someone to SDN Answers!

Is it sad that this was my exact response to the thread title? Was a little excited.

Well, technically, I asked my question first...

But since this question gets asked all the time in a million different ways, I don't think it can hurt to have it in there twice. I'm sure it will get cluttered no matter what - people will join and ask questions that aren't technically "FAQ"s - i.e. "Here's my specific situation, what should I do?" - so I'm not sure if it could really remain as streamlined as we would like. I'm unsure if anyone is moderating it beyond watching for inappropriate content.

It can be useful in that... we can link to it when questions are asked here, rather than explaining everything again.

And yeah, a little sad. I need to get out more. To be fair, I'm reading papers on V. cholerae lipid synthesis, so this is my 'pause' from that.

Hmmm,

I think there is a subtle (yet important) difference between the two questions. TT's is kind of like "okay, what do I need? research? vet? animal? equine? leadership? etc.---and how much of each" And the one I posted is specifically regarding the difference between vet and animal, which comes up on here quite often. I think both questions have their place (which is why I posted the other one after seeing TT's :) ). Depending on what info someone is looking for, they are both distinct and valid.