Animal nutrition course

Started by chunsa26
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chunsa26

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN!

I have a question for those of you who have taken the correspondence animal nutrition course with OKState. The course guide mentions several times that the exam questions will come from the information in the course guide and therefore info from the text isn't necessary.

How true did you find that statement? I am preparing for an exam and any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. What methods were most successful for you? (I.e. Studying the notes in the course guide, studying the "Study Questions", studying key portions in the readings, etc.)

Thank you in advance for any advice!
 
I took correspondence animal nutrition with OKState last year and had Dr. Stephen Damron. If you don't have him, things may be different, but for me I mostly studied the course guide unless somewhere it mentioned to read or be familiar with a certain section of the text. If nothing else, the course guide streamlines the material so definitely understand the key points. The text tends to be a bit detailed, but still good to read over before the exam. Also, make sure to read the summary points at the end of each chapter. The homework study questions helped me as well. The exam questions won't be identical to the study questions, but they do help.

Overall, the class wasn't too bad. I was taking animal nutrition while taking biochem and there was a lot of overlap which seemed to help. The tests were pretty hard, but manageable. If you have the same professor I had, he tends to be very detail oriented with some questions and sometimes guessing is your best bet. Prime example of this was the question that asked how many times a day a cow chews its food. I couldn't believe that was even being asked and couldn't help but wonder who in their right mind sits and watches and counts the number of times a cow chews. (It's 37,000 times/day by the way. :eyebrow:)
 
LOL at the cow chewing food question! I prob would've been staring at that in disbelief for a bit if that came up in an exam heh (therefore, thanks for the answer in case it DOES come up!)

Thanks so much for your response. I'm really scared of nutrition because it seems like a very dense topic but hopefully with your advice I'll succeed!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL at the cow chewing food question! I prob would've been staring at that in disbelief for a bit if that came up in an exam heh (therefore, thanks for the answer in case it DOES come up!)

Thanks so much for your response. I'm really scared of nutrition because it seems like a very dense topic but hopefully with your advice I'll succeed!

haha you're welcome. As you progress, feel free to PM me if you need any help or have questions. I kept all my materials as reference. Good luck!
 
Hello SDN!

I have a question for those of you who have taken the correspondence animal nutrition course with OKState. The course guide mentions several times that the exam questions will come from the information in the course guide and therefore info from the text isn't necessary.

How true did you find that statement? I am preparing for an exam and any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. What methods were most successful for you? (I.e. Studying the notes in the course guide, studying the "Study Questions", studying key portions in the readings, etc.)

Thank you in advance for any advice!
I found that this applied most of the time, but not always. I found it best to take notes on the textbook, do all the study questions, and to read through the course notes. Little tiny facts that may be important that were not covered in the course guide became clear to me by taking notes on the textbook. Usually I found like 1, maybe 2 of these questions on each exam. Granted, I went a bit overboard for a course that constitutes 90 (instead of a 93) as an A, and was very much well within the A range, but I am sure it is quite easy to still obtain an A and not do the textbook readings at all.

Overall, don't sweat it too much, the tests are fairly easy (as are the assignments, but I am sure you gathered that already), and you will do great 🙂