Animal Nutrition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceJellyfish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am a college freshman and I had a question about the animal nutrition class. My college doesn't offer it so I will need to take a summer class at a different college. Would I be able to take it this summer (the summer between freshman and sophomore year) or should I wait so I'm more prepared for the material? When is it normally taken?

Thanks for your help!
-Rebecca

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if you can take it that early, it might have some prereqs that you haven't fulfilled yet. You would have to check with your college. I wouldn't recommend it though. My animal nutrition class went in depth on metabolism, without previous knowledge from my other classes I would have been lost.

Hello all! I am a college freshman and I had a question about the animal nutrition class. My college doesn't offer it so I will need to take a summer class at a different college. Would I be able to take it this summer (the summer between freshman and sophomore year) or should I wait so I'm more prepared for the material? When is it normally taken?

Thanks for your help!
-Rebecca
Each school that offers this course will have pre-requisites for the course. You can also call those schools and ask what they recommend :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if you can take it that early, it might have some prereqs that you haven't fulfilled yet. You would have to check with your college. I wouldn't recommend it though. My animal nutrition class went in depth on metabolism, without previous knowledge from my other classes I would have been lost.

That makes sense. I'll look into the prereqs and might wait a bit, thank you!

Thanks for your help!
-Rebecca

I took it through correspondence education with Oklahoma State U, as long as you've taken a general bio I and II course I think you would be prepared enough for it.

I took it through correspondence education with Oklahoma State U, as long as you've taken a general bio I and II course I think you would be prepared enough for it.
I was about to say the same thing. The OK State class is really straightforward and (in my opinion) easy, and didn't go in to crazy metabolism biochem stuff. I took it between sophomore and junior year, but I probably would've been fine to take it between the first two years.

Reactions: 1 user

I was about to say the same thing. The OK State class is really straightforward and (in my opinion) easy, and didn't go in to crazy metabolism biochem stuff. I took it between sophomore and junior year, but I probably would've been fine to take it between the first two years.

Hi guys - I’m taking OSU’s course this summer. I don’t live in the area so need someone to proxy my exams but the website doesn’t specify requirements for that person. Do either of you know? And what does proxy-ing the exams entail?

Hi guys - I’m taking OSU’s course this summer. I don’t live in the area so need someone to proxy my exams but the website doesn’t specify requirements for that person. Do either of you know? And what does proxy-ing the exams entail?
My advisor at my undergrad institution proctored my exams for me. The exams were sent to her, and then she would sit me down in a room while I took the exam and basically just watched me and made sure that I didn't cheat. She and I did things pretty low-key, but I'm sure other places may be more intense about it. The exams took me 20 minutes or less (more like 10 for the first exam), so it wasn't bad for either of us.

My advisor at my undergrad institution proctored my exams for me. The exams were sent to her, and then she would sit me down in a room while I took the exam and basically just watched me and made sure that I didn't cheat. She and I did things pretty low-key, but I'm sure other places may be more intense about it. The exams took me 20 minutes or less (more like 10 for the first exam), so it wasn't bad for either of us.

Awesome, thank you!

A veterinarian or a veterinary clinic manager can also be your proctor for Oklahoma State's animal nutrition course. I'm taking it right now and my proctor is the clinic manager where I work. Super easy!

You can check with your local library, too! They often have proctoring services available.

Super exciting: Oklahoma State just started allowing a specific online proctoring service to proctor exams. You still have to pay for each exam proctored (which some in person places like libraries or colleges would make you do anyway) but you can do it from the comfort of your own home. I’m currently taking the class and as of the beginning of March, they started having you submit assignments online on a website and they allow an online proctor service. You also now get your grades back online on the brightspace website too.

Super exciting: Oklahoma State just started allowing a specific online proctoring service to proctor exams. You still have to pay for each exam proctored (which some in person places like libraries or colleges would make you do anyway) but you can do it from the comfort of your own home. I’m currently taking the class and as of the beginning of March, they started having you submit assignments online on a website and they allow an online proctor service. You also now get your grades back online on the brightspace website too.

Very cool, thanks for the info!

I also realized I said proxy in my original post instead of proctor. I may have completely lost my mind :p

All of the above! I had a neighbor who is a professor from a community college proctor for me, very low key, really just need someone (non family, of course) who can monitor the exams to verify you aren't cheating! I was worried he wouldn't be able to since he wasn't currently teaching a course and since it was a 2 yr college, but the CE coordinator was really nice and accommodating. If you have anyone in mind but aren't sure, I'd just email to explain the circumstances. He just had to receive the exams, proctor (give exams at their office, watch, and sign off to confirm), and mail them back. I used the college address for sending and receiving to verify his credentials. As long as you study, the exams don't take very long either as others have mentioned.

I also took OSU's course and had an advisor proctor the exams. The only thing is I took it the summer between freshman and sophomore year, and I wish I had waited until I had taken organic chem and cell biology. I just think I would have understood it a bit better. But, it was a pretty easy class as long as you read the material.