Animal wlefare/BSL protest organizations

Started by Maschka1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maschka1

CSU c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another thread got me thinking about something that I was not intending to put on my App, but then I wondered what you guys think.

I have been involved with a group who fights and a provides education regarding Breed specific legislation as well as a group that collects data and documents sick puppies in pet stores. (not the people who stand out front with signs, the people who take pictures, recordings, and report it to the local authorities).

I dont want to sound like an animal rights nut, because that couldn't be further from the truth. So I wasnt gonna add it. But then I realized that maybe it isnt that whacky to look out for the animals who have no voice?

Would you guys include this sort of activity in your app? or not?
 
I also am involved in BSL work (anti-, of course 😉). I plan on including it in my application, because it's a part of who I am. It depends on how you word it, I think...

So write something like "was involved in educating various towns in the dangers of BSL and other options available to encourage responsible pet ownership"

And not something like "picketed the governor's office because they passed BSL legislation"

I think the wording makes all the difference. Good luck!
 
I focus on transferable skills in applications. IE 'presented information on BSL in public forums before city council', 'created flyers about proposed BSL', etc. Stick to skills and actions that are usable for you. Remember, if the group was involved in activities that you didn't agree with and someone googles or calls it...well, you might be judged by that. In one of my groups, I noted that I did NOT participate in or support public protests, because there was a lot of negative media surrounding those acitivities, and they happened after I had relocated, but I didn't want that to color my application.