Anki for Clinical Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinkmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I think I somehow missed the whole Anki card wave for my basic science years, but now in clinical rotations, I was curious what decks do you guys use for Clinicals and how to best apply Anki for to honor rotations?

As I said I'm totally new to this whole Anki card thing, so this might seem like a dumb question but how do we get these pre-setup decks? I have heard that people use the Dorian deck and Zanki step 2 deck for clinical cores and Step 2 ck studying? I know Anki is not the sole study tools but I'm already familiar with the other study tools... except for Anki haha. Thank for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Cheesy dorian is the most compresive deck. You can download it off reddit, but just in case here is the direct link

Ok awesome, I used the link you provided and it worked great! Thanks. For other decks though I guess I can just check on Reddit and download them from there right? Sorry I also don't ever use Reddit as shocking to some as that might be haha.

Do most people set up the free account with Anki to sync it with the phone app? Cause I saw some people mentioned also downloading the app for the phone to maybe do some cards during downtime/commute

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can set up a free account, but yeah, all the decks are over there stickied on the medical school forum. You don't actually need an account to download them though.

how do you guys feel about the Tzenki deck vs the Cheesy dorian vs regular dorian? and any input on what the differences are?

Cheesy Dorian. You don't need any other deck. I do sync with an online account but I didn't buy the iPhone app because it costs money and you can just go on the website on your internet browser for free.

The iPhone app is nice if you want to study on the go. It’s worth the $25 IMO, but it’s not essential.

Reactions: 1 users
The iPhone app is nice if you want to study on the go. It’s worth the $25 IMO, but it’s not essential.
You can just open your internet browser on your phone and go to ankiweb and do the same thing for free.

You can just open your internet browser on your phone and go to ankiweb and do the same thing for free.

Yeah, it’s also the only way the Anki devs make money so I’m ok with it. I bought it like 3 years ago ‍

Reactions: 4 users
Cheesy Dorian. You don't need any other deck. I do sync with an online account but I didn't buy the iPhone app because it costs money and you can just go on the website on your internet browser for free.
Just was wondering how many new cards do you do a day? so for psych the deck seems to have just under 1000 cards, so whats the best way to divide that up with new cards? thanks!

Just was wondering how many new cards do you do a day? so for psych the deck seems to have just under 1000 cards, so whats the best way to divide that up with new cards? thanks!
That's why I like the OG Dorian. It's divided into subdecks, down to the exact OME video. So I'll watch X number of videos then do the cards for each OME video I watched. I'll finish OME vids/cards 3 weeks into rotation typically. I think the new (cheesy) dorian deck is nice and clean and simple. But I did not want to sacrafice the subdeck organization of the OME videos that was in the OG deck.

As far as Emma Review and High Yield subdecks I do that before each rotation starts.

Other random subdecks within each rotation I do right before my end of rotation exam (for example doing UWise cards now, OB exam on Fri).

It depends on how many days I have. I typically like to be done with a large chunk of cards before starting on UWorld, so I'll just do the math and see how many I need to do per day. For surgery I have 8 weeks, so I was doing like 50 news/day so that I could be done after ~4 weeks and then start on UWorld. Once I started UWorld I started on cards for my nest rotation since it will be a 4 week block. 50 news/day has worked well for me so far

I found Dorian too detailed for clerkships. Zanki is more efficient and valuable.

Yet again I still dont use Anki. Praying i can get that 260+ on Step 2 without it. I just cant get into it and it bothers me because I want to use it lol

I could never figure out how to use anki lol