Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently found this tool that could have been a big help if I had it when I was studying GRE words. It uses spaced repetition to try to bring things back up only when you are at risk of forgetting them. With ordinary flash cards, you have to continuously cycle the whole deck.
http://ichi2.net/anki/
I've gotta say, I'm really digging it so far. There are lots of downloadable card decks available for free, and you can set it up to sync your progress and decks online so that you can access them from multiple computers and on the web.
I am planning to use it this year to make flash cards as I study in vet school. I'll tell you all how that works out. Right now, I'm enjoying practicing spanish with one of the downloadable decks. Anki allows you to put images and sound in the flash cards.
If you use windows and want to try a tool that is more advanced than Anki, but based on the same principle, try Supermemo. It's not free.
http://www.supermemo.com/
I don't use windows so it's not really available for me, but I played with it a little bit and it is intense. It includes a thing called "incremental reading" for loading in reading material that you can then parcel out into sections to reread and then form flashcards for. It also lets you put images in and then you can obscure sections of the images (like labels) so that you can turn images into questions.
The great thing about spaced repetition is you can use it to continuously quiz you about the stuff you learn. You can actually keep all the stuff in your head that you learned by the time you reach clinicals, and have it all there, at whatever detail you're willing to put up with. If I only had this program when I was studying bac-t, I'd have been the bac-t wizard 🙂
http://ichi2.net/anki/
I've gotta say, I'm really digging it so far. There are lots of downloadable card decks available for free, and you can set it up to sync your progress and decks online so that you can access them from multiple computers and on the web.
I am planning to use it this year to make flash cards as I study in vet school. I'll tell you all how that works out. Right now, I'm enjoying practicing spanish with one of the downloadable decks. Anki allows you to put images and sound in the flash cards.
If you use windows and want to try a tool that is more advanced than Anki, but based on the same principle, try Supermemo. It's not free.
http://www.supermemo.com/
I don't use windows so it's not really available for me, but I played with it a little bit and it is intense. It includes a thing called "incremental reading" for loading in reading material that you can then parcel out into sections to reread and then form flashcards for. It also lets you put images in and then you can obscure sections of the images (like labels) so that you can turn images into questions.
The great thing about spaced repetition is you can use it to continuously quiz you about the stuff you learn. You can actually keep all the stuff in your head that you learned by the time you reach clinicals, and have it all there, at whatever detail you're willing to put up with. If I only had this program when I was studying bac-t, I'd have been the bac-t wizard 🙂