Anki - step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BazingaHero

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have never used Anki and been using it for last few weeks (UW incorrect) to prepare for step 3. I think it is much better than the traditional flashcard method and it brings spaced repetition to give me some hope. [Repeat step 3 taker].

I have 4 weeks before Day 1. What would be the best way to incorporate Anki into daily routine? Possible settings/intervals for reviewing and learning cards.

Previously, I just made index cards and wrote way too much. Made too many and couldn't recall enough due lack of repetition and it wasn't spaced out. So kind of wasted a lot of time. Want to try something different and since everyone loves Anki, I can definitely use some help.

Started to use Anki with about 500 UW questions left. I finished UW and have 225 Anki cards.

I also purchased step 2 Anki deck, went though IM and non IM sections. I flagged and moved the relevant cards to a different deck.

Usually, I change the review limit to "0" and learn the new cards. Then change the new card limit to "0" and just review the review cards. Generally, I just choose [again] if the intervals read something like: (<10 min again], < 6 days for hard, 1.3 months for easy and this cuts down the review interval to make sure I actually do review them. Therefore, usually I pick the interval which around 2-6.

I don't want to do the same thing as first time and not being to recall crap.

Anyone with experience and or suggestions to maximize Anki for step 3, would be awesome.

Background information which help:

1) Went through UW step 3 question bank 2 times in fall of 2018, but did not take the test. I created digital notes for every system in Evernote and all the subjects have their own notebook. So this time around, I did not make many notes because I have them from last year.

Would it be beneficial to convert these Evernotes into Anki cards? [obviously, not every single condition]?

Thank you in advance.

-See, anki deck settings pdf.
- glimpse of Evernote notes.

To those wondering, this time I finished Kaplan question bank with 55% correct. Finish UW with 67% correct. So it pretty obvious I don't know UW well enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Anki.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 289
  • Sample evernote notes. .pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I think with a month left you should just focus on questions and reviewing your notes, anki doesn't work as well in shorter periods of time with the spaced repetition and you already seem to have really comprehensive notes that you can review, it'll take a lot of time to convert the notes into anki that you can just use to do questions and study. if your done with Uworld, do kaplan or amboss, its cheap for a month and the advice I've received from everyone is that questions are the best way of preparing. I'm in the same boat as you and taking it in 40 days and I was doing anki but I switched over to questions as its most efficient. Also your notes seem great for quick review, would it be possible for you to share them?

Reactions: 1 user