Annoying the LOR Writers?

Started by Sparda29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long should you wait before prodding your LOR writer to complete the PharmCAS LOR?

I sent out the LOR like 3 weeks ago, called the LOR writer the same day about it and it still hasn't been done. Granted, he is in the middle of teaching a summer session of Organic II, but how long does it usually take to type a LOR?


The other LOR writer I asked, said that she would write it. However, I thought I sent it to the wrong e-mail address since it was 3 weeks since I submitted the LOR Request, so I sent it out again, and she sent me an e-mail asking me if I wanted it or not because apparently PharmCAS sends a notice that you cancelled the request. (Apparently, I had the correct LOR and she hadn't gotten to it yet.)

So yeah, I requested 4 LORs and I only have 2 so far(from pharmacists) but I'm waiting on 2 professors.

Does anyone know if you can send a committee letter along with 4 individual LORs?
 
writing a LOR takes time....granted that a professor does have time, it also depends on how well the professor knows you. did you give him/her your personal statement? resume? if its been 3 weeks and the professor hasn't done anything, you can send them a friendly reminder email saying you would like the LOR to be in by a certain date. hope this helps. sometimes professors have so much to do, they just get side tracked...a friendly reminder may do the trick.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whenever you ask anyone for a LOR always be straightforward on when you would like the LOR to be completed. About a week or two before it is due send a reminder to let them your deadline for completeing the LOR is approaching. If you do in this way, I highly doubt the person will think it is annoying.
 
Drop by during office hours for a chat. During the conversation, mention that you asked for an LOR and remind her of the due date. If you haven't given them a copy of your personal statement and your transcripts, that would be a good time to do it.

Professors get a lot of requests for LORs and I think it's helpful to them to have paper lying around to remind them.