Another Adversity Essay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lampy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here are my four biggest ideas when it comes to challenges I've faced to talk about (most of the ones I think of are too related to mental health)

1. staying clam while scuba diving because if I panicked I could die from drowning or the benz when both my mask and tank were failing at 100+ ft deep,
2. Remaining calm and non-judgmental when a controversial speaker, the national guard, and protesters/ counter protesters came to my campus my first semester as an RA and doing my best to serve my residents and be there for them, while seeking support from my coworkers
3. Working as an MA at a small clinic for a pain management doc and telling patients he looks for treatments other that opioids first and getting cursed at in person and over the phone by a couple patients because of that, but it' worth it for many reasons one of which a patient stopping and thanking me for my kindness over the phone and telling the doc that too
4. Growing up 10 min from Pulse being LGBTQ+ and having to keep driving past it afterwards, eventually doing some work with HIV testing my senior year (the testing is the second half of my diversity essay rn tho, Pulse is not mentioned)

I think 1 is the most unique story but obviously it is a very short event so long term adversity isn't addressed, 2 I feel like is probably the safest bet but a, 3 talks about me being an MA (only for the past month, so started right after I submitted my primary) so maybe that's too recent but I do want to work in being an MA somewhere, 4 is good about longer term adversity but I'm afraid Adcoms might not like it because I haven't done as much as others to help my community, I know homophobia might be an issue but if that's the case I don't think I should go to that school

Members don't see this ad.

4 is easily your best choice

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above. #4 is the best

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both!! I was just afraid having the same activity mentioned in both diversity and adversity would be bad but it really was extremely fulfilling and perfect for me

Thank you both!! I was just afraid having the same activity mentioned in both diversity and adversity would be bad but it really was extremely fulfilling and perfect for me
If you’re worried about that, I think it makes a better adversity essay than it does diversity, just in my opinion. I think it’s ok to talk about for both as long as they explore different aspects of your LGBTQ identity, but you can also explore other things about you that make you unique and would benefit your future classmates as a whole!

Reactions: 1 user
So here are my four biggest ideas when it comes to challenges I've faced to talk about (most of the ones I think of are too related to mental health)

1. staying clam while scuba diving because if I panicked I could die from drowning or the benz when both my mask and tank were failing at 100+ ft deep,
2. Remaining calm and non-judgmental when a controversial speaker, the national guard, and protesters/ counter protesters came to my campus my first semester as an RA and doing my best to serve my residents and be there for them, while seeking support from my coworkers
3. Working as an MA at a small clinic for a pain management doc and telling patients he looks for treatments other that opioids first and getting cursed at in person and over the phone by a couple patients because of that, but it' worth it for many reasons one of which a patient stopping and thanking me for my kindness over the phone and telling the doc that too
4. Growing up 10 min from Pulse being LGBTQ+ and having to keep driving past it afterwards, eventually doing some work with HIV testing my senior year (the testing is the second half of my diversity essay rn tho, Pulse is not mentioned)

I think 1 is the most unique story but obviously it is a very short event so long term adversity isn't addressed, 2 I feel like is probably the safest bet but a, 3 talks about me being an MA (only for the past month, so started right after I submitted my primary) so maybe that's too recent but I do want to work in being an MA somewhere, 4 is good about longer term adversity but I'm afraid Adcoms might not like it because I haven't done as much as others to help my community, I know homophobia might be an issue but if that's the case I don't think I should go to that school
Agree that 4 is the best. 1 is interesting , but the prompt is not really for life and death situations.

Reactions: 1 user