another advice thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iceageheatwave

RiniMonster
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, im sure you all are sick of this but i have nothing to lose by trying. Ive applied to DO schools this application cycle and im not getting any love. 3.3 science, 3.3 overall and a 20 mcat. I also applied late, so im not exactly shocked at the prospect of no interviews. For whatever horribly stupid and ungodly reason, i half-assed the mcat on my first two tries (7vr, 5ps, 6bs) and (9vr, 5ps, 6bs) and am planning on retaking it in the summer. I know i can do well if i put forth maximal effort and fully intend to. The thing is, i want to apply to md schools as well but would have a 3.0 science gpa and 3.25 regular gpa via amcas. Again, i know i can kick ass on the mcat but what should i do next year to fix my application for the 2007 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Have OUTSTANDING ECS and LORs.
Fine tune your personal statemen so that it is perfect and unique.
Get at least a 30 on the MCAT (10, 10, 10)

I have maybe a 3.1 science gpa via amcas and a 33 mcat.
I didnt get any love this cycle.

I would recommend having your AMCAS application in as early as possible...your application will be held up because of the August MCAT. If possible, can you take another science class or two over the summer to help boost your GPA. The only thing that is weak on my application is my GPA, and it really really hurts. it is also the hardest thing to fix.

Iceageheatwave said:
Again, i know i can kick ass on the mcat but what should i do next year to fix my application for the 2007 cycle?

You've already answered your own question. The 2007 cycle begins in only a few months. You can't raise your GPA very much before then, but every little bit helps. You probably can't do a whole lot to improve ECs or LORs between now and then. Most of the people applying have wonderful ECs and LORs, but they don't have the numbers. Med schools are "numbers ******". What you really can do is spend every waking moment on the MCAT. With a 20, you'll automatically be excluded by most schools, but your GPA (while not good) is not that bad. There are plenty of people in med school right now with your GPA, but they generally have 30+ MCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to MD schools this year an received no love either. My plan is to beef up my profile with community service and clinical stuff. Also, I would take the MCAT again, don't half ass it this time. Just suck it up and study. I would take a course if you can, it helped me raide my score by 16 points.

Good luck.

Is there anyone with >3.5 GPA and >28 MCAT not getting to any med school at all?

alright, all awesome advice. thanks guys

one more thing, when should i go about sending the application in? I want to send it off as early as possible but i fear a decision will be made on my application before the new MCATs come in.

Its important to get it in early. From applying twice, I learned this: TIMING IS CRUCIAL (I'm no stellar applicant, but early on in the cycle, I look pretty good). AMCAS starts sending them to schools July 1, and processing can take up to 6 weeks. The earlier you submit it, the quicker its processed. You can submit your app as early as June 1, so by July 1, schools will see it. Make sure you stipulate that your are taking the August MCAT. Most schools are pretty reasonable with regards to waiting. But if you aren't in the "hold for more info" pile before your scores are released, you could be in trouble b/c of missed deadlines. I would also try to work your scores and your state of mind into your PS; it can really make a difference. They also start accepting transcripts now, so if you have it, ask your school to send it. Otherwise wait until the end of the semester.

Best of luck!

Iceageheatwave said:
alright, all awesome advice. thanks guys

one more thing, when should i go about sending the application in? I want to send it off as early as possible but i fear a decision will be made on my application before the new MCATs come in.

This might not be what you want to hear, but you might want to wait until the next application cycle (2008). The reason I say this is that if you take the August MCAT your application is already late. Ideally you want to get the application in and completed by July not October which waiting for August means. Your MCAT scores up to this point have been low. You are just digging yourself into a deeper hole if you apply with low scores again in October (I know you are confident of a vast improvement, but you can't guarantee this until you have the score in your hand). The August MCAT is often thought to be a point against you from the outset and you don't need any more points against you. You also might think about taking a few science classes to improve your gpa. While it's true that people are in med school with gpas like yours, that is likely the only weakness in their application. You have to remember that there are more applicants than slots and schools can pick people with great gpas AND great ECs AND great MCAT scores. Don't apply and apply without getting everything in order as much as you can. It's just a waste of money.

It will be very hard for you to get into an MD school without some spectacular ECs, LORs or MCAT score. I had a score in the 35 MCAT and 3.7 GPA and had trouble getting in and may have to reapply. I probably will.

If you want to get into an MD school I would suggest applying to the bottom rung schools or schools that are very expensive and private. Albany and New York Medical (Not NYU) might be possibilities. University of Georgia, South Dakota, Oklahoma might also be good for MD.

I'd also suggest doing as much clinical as you possibly can.

EndSong said:
It will be very hard for you to get into an MD school without some spectacular ECs, LORs or MCAT score. I had a score in the 35 MCAT and 3.7 GPA and had trouble getting in and may have to reapply. I probably will.

If you want to get into an MD school I would suggest applying to the bottom rung schools or schools that are very expensive and private. Albany and New York Medical (Not NYU) might be possibilities. University of Georgia, South Dakota, Oklahoma might also be good for MD.

I'd also suggest doing as much clinical as you possibly can.
With a 35 and a 3.7 science GPA, the only way you will NOT get in is if you have no clinical experience, and/or no passion about medicine, and/or applied only to top 10 schools, and/or have terrible interviewing skills. Otherwise, you WILL get in somewhere.

As for the OP, apply to both DO and MD schools. You have to aim for ~25. Get everything else in order. Applying to med schools is a game, and like any game, you'll have to practice and gather the experiences of other players in order to succede.

Iceageheatwave said:
Alright, im sure you all are sick of this but i have nothing to lose by trying. Ive applied to DO schools this application cycle and im not getting any love. 3.3 science, 3.3 overall and a 20 mcat. I also applied late, so im not exactly shocked at the prospect of no interviews. For whatever horribly stupid and ungodly reason, i half-assed the mcat on my first two tries (7vr, 5ps, 6bs) and (9vr, 5ps, 6bs) and am planning on retaking it in the summer. I know i can do well if i put forth maximal effort and fully intend to. The thing is, i want to apply to md schools as well but would have a 3.0 science gpa and 3.25 regular gpa via amcas. Again, i know i can kick ass on the mcat but what should i do next year to fix my application for the 2007 cycle?

When did you apply this year? Did you apply to VCOM?