another "chances/goals" threads from an MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jclarke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In general, I have P's, rare HP's, and only H's in Spanish. I had a poster as an MS2 at the PAS convention and won an award for the same poster at my med school, which isn't highly ranked.
Step 1: 222 (92)

My possible end-goal is to specialize in child abuse or nephrology (waiting 'till I actually do peds nephro or start peds residency to decide).

I know I can apply everywhere but was hoping to get some advice from people who have similar backgrounds or who just know because they've already applied and heard back... :confused: so very confused, and I'd really really appreciate any advice. Also, should I take Step 2 CK ASAP? (earliest I can take it would be July 2008).

1. With my average grades and Step 1 score, do I honestly have a shot at any name programs like Denver or Cincinnati? (not the, my friend's friend failed and got in...type shot)
2. If not, where in NYC would you recommend? I feel like anywhere would have a huge patient load, but not necessarily great teaching.

I can't do an away at all the available places, so I was hoping for some guidance:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

In general, I have P's, rare HP's, and only H's in Spanish. I had a poster as an MS2 at the PAS convention and won an award for the same poster at my med school, which isn't highly ranked.
Step 1: 222 (92)

My possible end-goal is to specialize in child abuse or nephrology (waiting 'till I actually do peds nephro or start peds residency to decide).

I know I can apply everywhere but was hoping to get some advice from people who have similar backgrounds or who just know because they've already applied and heard back... :confused: so very confused, and I'd really really appreciate any advice. Also, should I take Step 2 CK ASAP? (earliest I can take it would be July 2008).

1. With my average grades and Step 1 score, do I honestly have a shot at any name programs like Denver or Cincinnati? (not the, my friend's friend failed and got in...type shot)
2. If not, where in NYC would you recommend? I feel like anywhere would have a huge patient load, but not necessarily great teaching.

I can't do an away at all the available places, so I was hoping for some guidance:eek:

It really varies....I think the whole process is kind of random. I would apply broadly and see what happens. I wouldn't get your hopes up on some of the TOP programs (CHOP, Boston, etc), but just about any pediatrics program will allow you to pursue fellowship training. Good luck.

yeah, i'm not going to hold my breath for THOSE programs, especially when they aren't interviewing people like you (with awesome scores from a terrific school)...argh!

Good luck on your interviews, not that you need it! Do you know/met Frank Smith? He's a Peds Cardiologist in Syracuse who almost made me feel like I was in love with the wrong organ :D (kidneys for me)