Another chances thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katheudontas parateroumen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
US allopathic school in southwest
Senior AOA
Clerkships: Honors in anesthesia elective and sub-I, surgery, pediatrics, and internal medicine; HP in Obgyn; Pass on rest
Step 1: 228
Step 2 CK: 256
Step 2 CS: Pass
LOR: 3 solid (1 anesthesia, 1 surgery, 1 medicine who is also dean of school)
EC: 2 non-anesthesia related research (no pubs)

Judging from NRMP Charting Outcomes, I believe I'm pretty good with matching. But competitiveness, not too sure. Trying to be realistic. Keeping it west coast. What are my many reaches?

Would be really happy: UCLA, UCSD, Stanford, Mayo Rochester
Happy with: USC, Colorado, OHSU, U of Washington, Virginia Mason, Baylor
Okay with: University of AZ, Mayo Scottsdale, Cedars Sinai, Loma Linda, UC Irvine, UTH
Alrighty: UNM, Utah, UC Davis, UT San Antonio, UTSW, Texas A&M, UTMB

No disrespect to any of the institutions above! I'm sure all will get sufficient training.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to drop below your "happy with" category. Don't stress it too much, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
US allopathic school in southwest
Senior AOA
Clerkships: Honors in anesthesia elective and sub-I, surgery, pediatrics, and internal medicine; HP in Obgyn; Pass on rest
Step 1: 228
Step 2 CK: 256
Step 2 CS: TBD
LOR: 3 solid (1 anesthesia, 1 surgery, 1 medicine who is also dean of school)
EC: 2 non-anesthesia related research (no pubs)

Judging from NRMP Charting Outcomes, I believe I'm pretty good with matching. But competitiveness, not too sure. Trying to be realistic. Keeping it west coast. What are my many reaches?

Would be really happy: UCLA, UCSD, Stanford, Mayo Rochester
Happy with: USC, UC Denver, OHSU, U of Washington, Virginia Mason, UTMB, UTH, Baylor
Okay with: University of AZ, Mayo Scottsdale, Cedars Sinai, Loma Linda, UC Irvine
Alrighty: UNM, Utah, UC Davis, UT San Antonio, UTSW, Texas A&M

Solid list. Realistic list. You will Match

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to update for future students, I ended up matching at Baylor! Happy with! Got 19 interviews and went on 10. I only got interviews to UCLA and UCSD in my really happy category. Great programs that I had put ahead basically due to location. However, Baylor was truly my favorite program that I interviewed with. So it all works out. Good luck!

Future applicants: make sure to check out the 2016 application thread/spreadsheet. Tons of information there! Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Just wanted to update for future students, I ended up matching at Baylor! Happy with! Got 19 interviews and went on 10. I only got interviews to UCLA and UCSD in my really happy category. Great programs that I had put ahead basically due to location. However, Baylor was truly my favorite program that I interviewed with. So it all works out. Good luck!

Future applicants: make sure to check out the 2016 application thread/spreadsheet. Tons of information there! Good luck!
Congrats!

By any chance, how many DOs did you happen to see on the interview trail, if any?