Another DAT date dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth Worthy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am in need for your knowledgeable advice. I am currently a bio major sophmore. I will be taking Organic Chemistry I and II over the summer break and then Orgo Lab in fall my junior year. I have no idea when to take the DAT, because I suspect I will need major time share for studying for chem and bio. So, I wouldn't be able to take DAT during the fall semester. I read some responses for different posts and people suggest taking DAT in May. But the thing is my spring junior semester I will be taking Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (and some other classes) and with this course load I am afraid I won't be able to dedicate time for DAT. So the question is, would it be okay to submit DAT app. early June but take DAT early August (1-5 August)?

P.S. I am only planning to take DAT ONE time, so I want to be prepared!

Thank You!:)

Members don't see this ad.

everyone "plans" on taking the DAT only once.......lets just hope your plan works.
and yea lots of people take their DAT in august. sounds fine. gluck

Hey! I was in the same scenario as you are encountering now. I submitted my application early July, but it was missing a DAT score. I took the DAT August 30. Initially I had planned to take it in July, but I didn't want to mess up and retake, so I kept pushing it back. Just so you know, my application wasn't complete until 9/24 when AADSAS sent out my DAT scores to the school. 9/24!!! Now I know what people mean when they say AADSAS takes a long time to send stuff out. I applied to 5 schools and only got one pre-dec interview, so I think it really hurt me to take the DAT late August. If you're shooting for early August, the earliest AADSAS will mail your stuff would probably be near the end of August. By then, some schools have already sent out interview invites.

I agree with Lusity, definitely be aware of what he/she is mentioning. Also, a "late" complete application is logistically not late if you achieved some high scores. Granted, the statistics show that if you don't interview pre-dec, chance of acceptances diminish but that data was also based on predents.com where most people are overachievers with much stronger DAT scores, etc.

Of course, it makes sense because they have issued acceptances but schools are on a rolling admission for a reason. They want a competitive, dynamic and diverse class therefore the right scores push you into the outlier category.

wow, this is an eye-opening thread because i was considering taking the DAT mid/late summer. now i'm reconsidering. what's the earliest date people can send applications? and what's considered a 'late' date to finish your application?