Another day, another kidney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, it's a systems issue of not having a pathologist available for frozens. No formal communication between the radiologist and the surgeon.

The renal vein could have done better to declare itself. The renal artery wasn't pulsatile enough. The ureters just sat there like its job is to do nothing but to get pissed on.

Don't even get me started on anesthesia. Do they need a goddam aline every time for these cases? what was that, his 4th break during the case?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't even get me started on anesthesia. Do they need a goddam aline every time for these cases? what was that, his 4th break during the case?

I do anesthesia for a lot of ALIFs and I almost never insert an aline unless there is a patient indication. That is extremely rare because the surgeons aren’t dumb enough to do ALIFs on medical trainwrecks. Thankfully I don’t work with Dr. Death types.

Last edited:
My hospital won’t credential you without a 1/3 mil policy.

I do anesthesia for a lot of ALIFs and I almost never insert an aline unless there is a patient indication. That is extremely rare because the surgeons aren’t dumb enough to do ALIFs on medical trainwrecks. Thankfully I don’t work with Dr. Death types.

It's great that you guys have that standard. But what's so tough about putting in an Art line? I have never regretted putting one in and if you've done enough, you can usually get one in less than 5 minutes.

It's great that you guys have that standard. But what's so tough about putting in an Art line? I have never regretted putting one in and if you've done enough, you can usually get one in less than 5 minutes.

It’s not tough. I put in many many Aline’s....I’m an outlier according to CMS/propublica treatment tracker;). But I haven’t found them necessary for ALIFs with our surgeons.

Last edited:
What's the indication for an a-line? We do a ton of ALIFs, many of them on ASA 1-2 patients. The procedure itself certainly isn't an indication for one.

What's the indication for an a-line? We do a ton of ALIFs, many of them on ASA 1-2 patients. The procedure itself certainly isn't an indication for one.

Because you need an A-line to tell you if they rupture one of the iliacs, duh!

Reactions: 1 user
because the surgeons aren’t dumb enough to do ALIFs on medical trainwrecks. .
oh yes they are!!. There are bottom feeders who will operate on anything. THey dont care as long as it keeps them in business is all that matters.

A line and large bore IV. I’ve seen an assistant yank and tear the iliac vein. Bled like a stuck pig and then had to go to Cath lab for stenting the vein because the tear was impossible to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile