Another DO student question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unknown1254

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been looking at past posts on this subject, but I was hoping to get a fresh perspective on my situation. I am a DO student with a 630, but unforunately I did not take USMLE step I. My plan is to work hard and try to do the best I can on USMLE step 2 (Ive been reading that step 2 could increase in importance over the next few years) and work my butt off on rotations, try to get good LOR's and especially to do well on audition rotations. I am thinking about taking Step I, but if I go ahead with my plan do you think I have a shot at matching? I know Gas is very competitive and its a ROAD speciality, but from what I have seen it appears to be a very DO friendly field. That is the other factor I was curious about.......I will be applying to residencies in DO heavy areas (top choice would be PA/NJ, especially in Philly). I am hoping that if the PD or residency director is a DO they will look favorably on COMLEX. I am by no means an exceptional medical student, but I like to think I am easy going, pleasant, hard working and someone who will put the team first. I have done well on my rotations so far. I am not looking to match top tier, but Anes is my top choice and I just want to match somewhere. Any success stories out there?

Also just as a follow-up since it is so competitive and Im at a disadvantage is there any harm in applying to another speciality as a back-up? Again I really want Anes, but I think thats better then not matching at all. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If looking to go to programs in the philly area with D.O. PD's you must be looking to go to Jeff or Temple. Both great training places from what I hear. Jeff has a great rep for good training and reasonable hours.

Do not sell yourself short, I would consider taking step 2 but if you do not think you will do well than this can be a bad thing. My best advice is ROTATE there. I went to a philly program, not Jeff or Temple, and worked really hard, made freinds and it worked out for me. With that said, there is no reason you can not do the same thing.

Go wherever you want, work hard, let them know they are you number one in not so many direct words and you will almost certainly end up there.

Lastly DO NOT rank a place because they have a D.O. PD and you think that makes your chances better. Decide what you want, and go there. I can tell you more about the programs if you want. Let me know and I will give you my email.

Mike

You will be fine. Taking step 1 is a tough call as it might be tough to study that material in addition to your 3rd year clinical studies. The last thing you want is a poor step 1. I recommend getting a year subscription to World and doing questions daily during 3rd year. Definitely take USMLE 2 and comlex in July so you will have your scores back in time for sept 1. Get some good LORs and apply broadly (60+ primary apps). You will match somewhere. I also would not put any weight on Pd's being DO's, more important is a programs current resident list. If they have a few DO residents chances are that they will match more in the following years. Best of luck.