Another dumb q from a newbie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJonathan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I want to be a DO that specializes somewhere in Cardiology, is one osteopathic school better suited than another, or can I get there from any DO program??
Probably a dumb question, I know.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a GI once (arguably more competitive than cards) who was a NYCOM alumnus (DO school). What's more important is doing awesome during your IM residency, meaning getting awesome LORs and doing research. I'd assume where you did your residency and how well you did in it determines if you get the fellowship moreso than your med school at that point. With that said, no, no one DO school prepares you for cards than the others.

It all depends on LORs, board scores etc.... Which is more or less up to you rather than your school of choice. However some schools are more inclined to produce more physicians of a particular practice (family practice, int. med, peds) than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a GI once (arguably more competitive than cards) who was a NYCOM alumnus (DO school). What's more important is doing awesome during your IM residency, meaning getting awesome LORs and doing research. I'd assume where you did your residency and how well you did in it determines if you get the fellowship moreso than your med school at that point. With that said, no, no one DO school prepares you for cards than the others.

Hey meatwad,
How competitive is IM for a DO applicant, I am not referring to a specific program, Im just talking in general. Also how competitive is getting into IM in regards to allopatic vs osteo for a DO

Sorry I don't mean to jack this thread, I been searching for answers about these questions and I didn't feel like starting a new thread

Hey Nasem, I'm not really sure, but I do know there is a whole lot of DOs every year going into IM. Every year, some Caribbean grads get IM spots at real good hospitals in the country, so I see no reason DOs wouldn't do (at the very least) as well as IMGs as far as IM goes. Unfortunately, I never check where the primary care matches are when I look at match lists. You should go to the FAQ sticky in the Pre-DO area and check matchlists. I'm sure there are real strong matches into IM programs every year from just about every DO school.

If you do well on the USMLE, I'd say FP/IM/etc. are the fields where the DO discrimination argument would be of lowest value, i.e. you should have no problem getting in just about anywhere if you score real high.