Another first time reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gilgamesh417

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is David and I'm trying to make a decision. My current GPA, as it stands, is a mere 3.2 and is not enough for medical school and my MCAT is only a 35 which isn't enough to compensate for it. I recently applied for graduate school special masters program and got into the Boston University Special Masters of Medical Science and I've applied for a few more (Georgetown, Temple University, Rosalind Franklin, U. Penn, U. Cincinnati, Mount Sinai, Drexel, Loyola, Dartmouth and New York Medical College). My question now is are these programs actually beneficial to me? Some of these programs are Post-Bacc style programs while others offer me the opportunity to take the first year of medical school classes. Of the two, which one should I take and if I do demonstrate that I can academically perform (3.5 GPA or above) and I do reapply, would medical schools hold this against me? Secondly, since I already got into Boston University, should I reapply for medical school now and indicate that I was already accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, my name is David and I'm trying to make a decision. My current GPA, as it stands, is a mere 3.2 and is not enough for medical school and my MCAT is only a 35 which isn't enough to compensate for it. I recently applied for graduate school special masters program and got into the Boston University Special Masters of Medical Science and I've applied for a few more (Georgetown, Temple University, Rosalind Franklin, U. Penn, U. Cincinnati, Mount Sinai, Drexel, Loyola, Dartmouth and New York Medical College). My question now is are these programs actually beneficial to me? Some of these programs are Post-Bacc style programs while others offer me the opportunity to take the first year of medical school classes. Of the two, which one should I take and if I do demonstrate that I can academically perform (3.5 GPA or above) and I do reapply, would medical schools hold this against me? Secondly, since I already got into Boston University, should I reapply for medical school now and indicate that I was already accepted?

Hi David,

I guess it all depends on what you want to accomplish. It seems as though MD is your goal, so you'll definitely need to show the adcoms that you are willing to work for this (i.e. SMP/post-bac). You are going to really have to do well (which of course you already know) in this program. I would apply and definitely mention this (they will probably ask what classes you will be doing the coming year, if any.

Now if you applied for DO schools, with your GPA and your MCAT, you'd probably have some more options.

All the best :luck::luck::luck::luck: