Another "freaking out I probs failed Step 2 CS"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsFutureDoc123

Reaction score
I can't believe it...I feel terrible about how I did..and in this easiest section too!

I somehow feel like I bombed my CIS portion of the exam.

My first counseling section was awful...I was just all jittery about it being my first one!
I forgot to counsel on smoking cessation for 3 patients.
One female patient I asked to lower the gown to "where they feel comfortable" so I can examine the chest...She just pulls it below her boobs and I didnt want to be weird and say anything...I imagine I should have said something?

I feel devastated!

Anyone have words of wisdom? You all never fail me!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe it...I feel terrible about how I did..and in this easiest section too!

I somehow feel like I bombed my CIS portion of the exam.

My first counseling section was awful...I was just all jittery about it being my first one!
I forgot to counsel on smoking cessation for 3 patients.
One female patient I asked to lower the gown to "where they feel comfortable" so I can examine the chest...She just pulls it below her boobs and I didnt want to be weird and say anything...I imagine I should have said something?

I feel devastated!

Anyone have words of wisdom? You all never fail me!

I also just realized I only washed hands in the beginning of the encounter and not directly before physical exam ..is that acceptable?? Ugh so much anxiety

You probably passed. These are all very minor mistakes. I did worse things and managed to pass.

Regarding the hand-washing, was that on every encounter, or just a one time thing?
No one really knows for sure how they grade that (i.e. if washing once gets you credit, or if you need to wash before and after physical exam) - but probably even washing once would get you credit, or at least half credit for that item...and since you did it at start of encounter, that is before the physical exam/touching the patient.

Nothing I can say is really going to take away the anxiety - but it's over now, all you can do is wait and try not to worry about it again until you get your result (easier said than done, I know). Good luck!

Honestly, it was most encounters that I only washed when I walked in. However, I did just talk with a friend who said they did that too and just passed fine on CIS, so maybe it’s acceptable. I’m so upset over this test. Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it! :)
You probably passed. These are all very minor mistakes. I did worse things and managed to pass.

Regarding the hand-washing, was that on every encounter, or just a one time thing?
No one really knows for sure how they grade that (i.e. if washing once gets you credit, or if you need to wash before and after physical exam) - but probably even washing once would get you credit, or at least half credit for that item...and since you did it at start of encounter, that is before the physical exam/touching the patient.

Nothing I can say is really going to take away the anxiety - but it's over now, all you can do is wait and try not to worry about it again until you get your result (easier said than done, I know). Good luck!

I lowered the gown on all my female patients from the front and asked them to lift their left breast. I asked if they were okay being exposed like that and they all said yes. Will I fail for checking heart sounds like that in all the females? It felt more natural that way, but now I'm freaking out because I don't want to fail for over exposure.

My understanding is that's perfectly fine. The SP's expect you to do this.