Another frustrating application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's another problem I'm having.

Towards the end of the "coursework" section, when I'm adding the year/quarter, the application does not give me the proper choices for inputting the correct quarter. In other words, I put in Winter Quarter, 1989 and then wanted to finish with Spring Quarter, 1989, but it would not give me a selection for Spring Quarter, 1989!!!!!!!!!! The only choice that is remotely close is Spring Tri-mester of 1989! I know that if I put in 1990 as my year, I'll get Spring Quarter as an option and it'll appear as 1989 on the form.

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO US????!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The way I understand it is that you enter the actual year in which the semester occured. They will automatically change it to the academic year in which it occured in. For example if you took your spring semester in 2000, you would enter 2000 as the year in which you took it. However it will end up being listed under the 1999 academic year. Hope this helps.

Don't worry about it, just enter the year accurately. I remember that happening to me, it's just one of the many screwy things to expect from AMCAS. I spent a LOT of time trying to manipulate that section so I could get it to 'look right' to me, finally I gave up and let the program sort it out. I figured as long as the year matched my transcripts, that's all that mattered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it. When they verify your application they can sort it out for you as well. That section is highly scrutinized anyway.

i remember having a problem with this last year. once you enter a quarter it disappears off the list of choices, but the problem is that amcas doesn't always enter the quarter that you tell it to. if you choose a particular quarter, the quarter that's listed comes up as one year off, but it only does this for some of the quarters. one of the quarters (i think it's fall, but i can't remember) actually does come up as the right year.

the way to fix it is to just pick the "wrong" year for the quarters that come up as one year off, and then pick the correct year for the one quarter that comes up correct. do this for every year that you enter classes and it should come out ok. i think. stupid amcas. :p

p.s. or as randomlogik says you can just have all the spring/winter quarters listed until the fall year. :)

cheer up, man, you shouldn't be frustrated so early in the application process.

trust me, you might have to go through a lot more
(i.e. waitlisted until NEXT september at your dream school, etc.)

looking back, filling out AMCAS was the least frustrating part of this application year for me.