Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Another interesting news article: Swiss Animal Law

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Hollycozza, May 8, 2008.

1. Hollycozza

5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
  2. OSJ

OSJ Michigan State CVM 2012
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    That's great. I hope they can enforce it as well.

From the article: They seem to have the right idea here by the response to this!
    "One tabloid newspaper has accused the Government of pandering to the needs of guinea-pigs while ignoring more important animal issues, such as its failure to enforce a ban on dangerous dogs.
    response
    But Hans Wyss, head of the Swiss Federal Veterinary Office, said: “The aim is not only to ensure treatment of animals appropriate to each species, but also to decrease the risk of attacks by dangerous dogs. Inappropriate treatment could lead to behavioural disorders.”

3. Hollycozza

5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Just because I like posting interesting articles I've found:

A recent interaction with the law (on the right side of it!!!) has made me think about animal law and its effect on vets. I found this through googling, and its a good read:

http://www.nabr.org/animallaw/Articles/VetsInTheDoghouse.pdf

I think malpractice suits and the award of non-economic damages are an alarming concept and likely to result in fewer pets getting medical treatment if it forces the costs of pet care up. What do people think?