Another international applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naturallyneha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am an international applicant. I did my undergraduation in electronics engineering from India, and came here to the Univ of Wisconsin Madison for my master's in biomedical engineering.It's just my first semester here. I have made up my mind to apply to the M.D./Ph.D program. I plan on taking the MCAT in April 2006 and applying for Fall 2007. Since there are such few international applicants for this program, I really need to speak to someone who could guide me through this process. I was wondering if there's anybody who could tell me about the application process (especially how it differs for international applicants) and any tips I could use!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

naturallyneha said:
Hello all,

I am an international applicant. I did my undergraduation in electronics engineering from India, and came here to the Univ of Wisconsin Madison for my master's in biomedical engineering.It's just my first semester here. I have made up my mind to apply to the M.D./Ph.D program. I plan on taking the MCAT in April 2006 and applying for Fall 2007. Since there are such few international applicants for this program, I really need to speak to someone who could guide me through this process. I was wondering if there's anybody who could tell me about the application process (especially how it differs for international applicants) and any tips I could use!

Thanks!

I am international applicant, however i have done myu under grad in the U.S.

PM me if you have any specific questions. BTW, biomedical engineering is a hot subject and I can definitely see how you can incorporate it into medicine. However, one biggest issue is the limited number of MSTP programs that can fund you. As far as I know, most of these programs are interested in(or maybe strong) in biomedical research. Of course, one can say there are tons of biomedical research that ties to biomedical engineering. I would look into the schools and their research interests very carefully before you express interest in biomedical engineering.

That is being said, if you keep your research area interests broad, get a solid research background and a good MCAT(35+), you should not have any problems. At least, I did not have.

As I think is mentioned elsewhere "MSTP" programs cannot fund non-US citizens. Whereas privately funded MD/Phd programs can fund as their shool dictates. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply to MSTP programs because some schools have a 1:1 matching of MSTP funded spots to institution funded spots so although they are a MSTP program they can fund non-citizens with their institution funds.

Members don't see this ad :)
r1oid said:
As I think is mentioned elsewhere "MSTP" programs cannot fund non-US citizens. Whereas privately funded MD/Phd programs can fund as their shool dictates. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply to MSTP programs because some schools have a 1:1 matching of MSTP funded spots to institution funded spots so although they are a MSTP program they can fund non-citizens with their institution funds.

Hi, thanks r1oid and huseyin for your inputs. Is there a website that gives list of all the med schools that have institute funded spots for international students? I know of intransit..and they have a great deal of information for M.D./PhD students..but is there any other book/website which lists the schools that international applicants can apply to?

naturallyneha said:
Hello all,

Thanks!
Your single biggest issue will by your foreign undergraduate degree. A higher degree from the U.S. ordinarily won't excuse that requirement. There are a few medical schools that will fund internationals for the MD/PhD program, but they are expected to possess a North American undergraduate degree or, at the very least, to have completed all of the prereq's (chem/biol/physics - 1 year of each) in North America. PM me if you want me to elaborate. Good luck!