another LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waldowaldo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all

i was hoping 2 of my 4 letters of recomenndation would be from anethesiologists but it looks like I will only be able to have 1 letter from anesthesiology, with the other 3 being from other specialities..is this ok? i'm kinda disappointed that the other person I was counting on wont be writing me a letter. thanks.

waldo

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it's fine that only one letter is from an anesthesiologist. I only had one letter from an anesthesiologist, and I got into what most on these boards consider to be a top program. I had a letter from the chairman of my anesthesiology department and 2 additional letters from 2 other specialties. It's hard to go wrong letting a program know you are well rounded. I would worry less about what specialty your letters come from and more about getting letters from people you know will write you excellent recs. I would, however, recommend getting a letter from your anesthesia chairman if you think he will write you a strong letter. It's amazing how many people on the interview trail will recognize your chairman (it's a small group). The main thing, in my mind, though, is to get docs who will sing you the most praise to write your recs.

Plus...
If your programs only require 3 letters and you get 4, I would consider only sending the best 3 (if you are able to read them and decide). No need in sending in the last one if it's not as good as the first 3/doesn't add much to them.