Another LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flipcyde

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this has been asked elsewhere. It says on ERAS that a maximum of 4 LOR's can be sent to programs. I just clicked my 4 for all programs. Did anyone bother checking to see if some programs had a limit on numbers' sent? I saw one program in particular that wanted only 2. Don't know if it will be looked upon negatively for sending more than they requested. I know, its a neurotic question but I figure there are a bunch of us out reading sdn and maybe someone can have an opinion on this. I'm assuming there's no way to change this anyway but it's good to know what everyone has done.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

honestly I think 4 LOR is overkill. Pick your strongest 3 and send those. Nobody wants to read 4 letters. Most of your interviewers won't even pick up your application until you are sitting right in front of them. If you have 4 letters for them to read they may not read any of them.

Thanks for the heads up!

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh, well i heard 4 is fine for all programs.

i submitted 4 for all of my 30 plus applications i hope i don't get screwed. all of my 4 are roughly equal i guess as far as i can tell from not reading them.

did any resident get in trouble on the interview trail for submitting 4?

Right I heard that worst case scenario is they read only 3/4, etc. but I don't think that is a reason not to submit 4 versus 3. Generally they are just giving you a minimum required number.

Last year I sent four letters to all programs. I applied to 22 programs total, and never had a comment about too many letters.

for what its worth i am submitting my app soon, like this weekend but i will only have two LORs -- one from chief of surgery and one from an ER doc....i am waiting on an anes letter because my first anes rotation starts soon. hopefully i will get invites without an anes LOR? anybody know if this will be a problem for my app.... will they wait until all the lors are in to decide about interviews? will an early lack of an anes lor be a red flag?