Another LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmadell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering if it would be bad form to send a preliminary e-mail to a professor reminding them of who I am (I took this prof's class a year ago), and asking if they would feel comfortable writing a strong LOR for me? I would include that if he felt he could do that, I would like to maybe set up a time to meet with him, and discuss my motivation, experience, etc. for going into medicine? Would it be alright to do this in an e-mail? Or should I just drop by his office? I feel like it would be better to actually set up a time...but also that it might be a little impersonal asking for an LOR over the internet?
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Members don't see this ad.

So I was wondering if it would be bad form to send a preliminary e-mail to a professor reminding them of who I am (I took this prof's class a year ago), and asking if they would feel comfortable writing a strong LOR for me? I would include that if he felt he could do that, I would like to maybe set up a time to meet with him, and discuss my motivation, experience, etc. for going into medicine? Would it be alright to do this in an e-mail? Or should I just drop by his office? I feel like it would be better to actually set up a time...but also that it might be a little impersonal asking for an LOR over the internet?
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Well I let them know through email first and then followed up with a visit. I wouldn't just drop by the office...they might be busy or out of town. Email first....follow up with a visit if they don't answer or just follow up with whatever they ask you to do if they do answer. Keep in mind though that email is not always answered right away. I see no problem in contacting them now though, just so they are aware of what you're asking them down the road.

I would set up an appointment first to "discuss your career objectives." At the visit bring out your CV and transcript, and maybe a draft of your Personal Statement. At the visit remind the professor of your contributions to the class, review the materials you've brought, THEN ask if he feel she can write a strong LOR for you. You should chit chat long enough so the prof feels he "knows" you and can inject some observations of your personal qualities into the letter. JMO.

Instead of making an entire new thread, I'm just going to branch off of this one.

When Medical Schools say they want at least 2 of your letters to come from science professors, does the "science" part mean BCPM? I have a Calculus teacher I want a recommendation from. Thanks.