Another LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackhawks77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I am a sophomore in college and I have a few questions that I hope you guys have answers to.

My first few questions have to do with LOR's. I have two professors that I would like to ask for LOR's. I was wondering if it was too early to start asking people for these, since I am not going to be applying until summer 2011? I fear that they will forget about me by next year and I will have to find two more people to ask. Also, I am not best friends with these professors but they know me pretty well. I am having trepidations asking them because I hear everyone on this forum talking about how they are personal friends with there LOR writers. So will these suffice if you go in for office hours, participate in class, and have a few non-academic conversations?

My school has only a one semester lab for our general chem series. I did not know if schools required a lab for gen chem 1 and 2 or if my schools requirement will suffice?

Thanks is advance for answering my questions and hopefully I will be more active on the forum from now on.

Members don't see this ad.

You can ask for the letters now, just stay in touch with the professors every once in a while - make them remember you. I was not technically "friends" with any of my writers. I also had a letter from a class 2 years before.

If your school's Chem lab is 2hrs then it's fine. My school has 1 semester of GChem and OChem lab, but they're both 2hr labs - the equivalent of 2 semesters of lab but in 1 semester.

Hope this helps.