Another "my chances" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dewballs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just spent an hour going over all my grades and calculating gpa's based on the aadsas numbers and this is what I got. I posted a while ago about my story with a degree in math and a bad science gpa becaseu of the math classes and how im doing a post bac now. So heres what I'd get assuming I finish with all A's in the post bac, which I'm confident I can do.

Overall 3.14
Science 3.19
post bac BCP 4.0

How do you think those grades would look if I could kick ass on the DAT. I'm taking organic I and II over this summer so I'd have all of next year to study for the test along with physics I and II.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming that you kick the DAT down the block and then some, I think you stand a good chance of getting in. Your overall gpa is a bit on the low side, although your BCP gpa is stellar. In addition to doing well on the DAT I would also encourage you to have a very good personal statment, collect some solid LOR's, and send your application off early. Remember, your gpa is just one component of a larger picture - a weak spot can be buttressed by making other areas more strong (and hopefully more noticeable/noteworthy). Best of luck!

I think we are all here to help but it wouldn't be any good unless you go and take that DAT. We can't give you any realistic picture just yet. Sorry, pal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know. I'm planning on taking the DAT next spring when I'm wrapping up my post bac classes. I was just wondering what my chances would be with those gpas. I live right outside of boston so Im planning on applying to BU and NYU which i hear a little easier to get in to. But I'm also looking at Nova and Arizona and was curious as to what kinds of stats are reasonable for those schools.

dewballs said:
I know. I'm planning on taking the DAT next spring when I'm wrapping up my post bac classes. I was just wondering what my chances would be with those gpas. I live right outside of boston so Im planning on applying to BU and NYU which i hear a little easier to get in to. But I'm also looking at Nova and Arizona and was curious as to what kinds of stats are reasonable for those schools.

With a 21+ on the DATs you will have a realistic chance at all of the above schools and Tufts (if you want to stay in Boston). I say 21 and over because you may be pushing it a bit with a 3.14. Remember, competition is getting tougher and tougher each cycle and averages are going up. You must do your best on the DAT. Do not settle for a 19.

Sprgrover said:
Assuming that you kick the DAT down the block and then some, I think you stand a good chance of getting in. Your overall gpa is a bit on the low side, although your BCP gpa is stellar. In addition to doing well on the DAT I would also encourage you to have a very good personal statment, collect some solid LOR's, and send your application off early. Remember, your gpa is just one component of a larger picture - a weak spot can be buttressed by making other areas more strong (and hopefully more noticeable/noteworthy). Best of luck!

Dude!

What planet are you living on?

You seriously just told this guy that his GPA is LOW?

Are you crazy? Alot of schools have an avg GPA of 3.3 so that means that there are tons of people above and below.

This guy has a great GPA.

So, its people like you that make me hate SDN.

How can you be so negative and type something like that to someone?

His GPA is JUST FINE and it is right in the mix.

He can do the minimum and get a 17 and get into dental school.

I am just ticked at these negative comments. :(

general tso,

I didnt really take offense to lionelhutz's comments. I mean given the overall picture yeah 3.14 is a solid gpa but wouldn't you say it's on the low end for dental school? I'm not here to bitch and moan about my low stats and everything because it's my own fault...I shouldn't have majored in math it's obviously not my strong point but there's also reasons why I did major in it which is a long story. I know people can and do get in with even lower gpas...I've read the whole "under 3.0 club" thread and I've seen the stats people can get in with, I guess I'm just a little over nervous as I'm sure everyone in this situation is. Thanks for sticking up for me though.

You have a good chance of getting into a dental school. I was like you. I majored in Math and Physics in college. While I have an MBA, my undergrad GPA is much worse than yours. I scored an overall DAT of 21. I had four interviews this year. Was accepted to one, put on waitlist by one, waiting for response from one and rejected by one. One of the schools I interviewed with was an Ivy League school and another one has consistently been a top five school. Although these stats don't mean much, it just goes to show you that anything is possible. The key is to do all the neccesary groundwork, such as a high DAT score, keeping up with your 4.0 postbac GPA, and most importantly getting your AADSAS app in early, try to get it in before the official date.

I wish you good luck. If you want it bad enough, you'll be able to do it.

Your GPA isn't that bad as some would leave you to believe. Do well on the DAT and remmeber that adcoms are after a complete package. Make sure you're good in the other areas and and you'll be just fine. Remember also to research the schools to which you want to apply.

Thanks fellas......I guess the only thing to do is just finish out the rest of the post bac with A's and kick ass on the DAT, all there is to it.

GENERAL TSO said:
Dude!

What planet are you living on?

You seriously just told this guy that his GPA is LOW?

Are you crazy? Alot of schools have an avg GPA of 3.3 so that means that there are tons of people above and below.

This guy has a great GPA.

So, its people like you that make me hate SDN.

How can you be so negative and type something like that to someone?

His GPA is JUST FINE and it is right in the mix.

He can do the minimum and get a 17 and get into dental school.

I am just ticked at these negative comments. :(

I don't think he was being negative at all. He was just giving out his honest opinion, nothing that sounded like a negative input to me. Honestly I do believe that any GPA below 3.2 is at the lower end for dental schools. A majority of people got accepted to dental school have better GPA than that, but that doesn't mean that people with below 3.2 do not get accepted. Give the guy a break!!! He just gave his honest feeling. If you actually do a random survey, you might understand why he thought so. (Otherwise, why would people with <3.2 GPA have less confidence in their application and have to come up here to ask for advice?) Again, I do not say that people with below 3.2 do not get accepted, but they must have some other strong qualities (DAT, LORs, essay, interviews......) to push them ahead.

Dr.Smiley-OR said:
I don't think he was being negative at all. He was just giving out his honest opinion, nothing that sounded like a negative input to me. Honestly I do believe that any GPA below 3.2 is at the lower end for dental schools. A majority of people got accepted to dental school have better GPA than that, but that doesn't mean that people with below 3.2 do not get accepted. Give the guy a break!!! He just gave his honest feeling. If you actually do a random survey, you might understand why he thought so. (Otherwise, why would people with <3.2 GPA have less confidence in their application and have to come up here to ask for advice?) Again, I do not say that people with below 3.2 do not get accepted, but they must have some other strong qualities (DAT, LORs, essay, interviews......) to push them ahead.

Dewballs, come back when you have a DAT score, you have no real business posting a thread about what your chances are without a DAT score.

A 3.0-3.2 is low for this year and imgaine it will be even lower next year. Its unfortunate but it seems that dental school is going the way of medical school with GPA and DAT scores competiviness. Be carefull of BU and NYU if your going to apply with a low gpa apply in may, with less competition. A lot of people have been rejected from NYU and BU becuase there application got there late they have way GPA then yours.