Another newbie...

Started by JamieMac
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JamieMac

Elite Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
First of all...great forum! I've found most of the content both informative and inspirational. I can see this as being a good supplement to a non-trad's support system.

A little about me: I'm 34, and am planning to begin my pre-reqs this August (I was a Finance/Accounting major), which would put me at 37 for med school. Like some of you, I will be leaving what amounts to a comfortable salary, a nice home, and the security of what I have been doing for over 10 years. Thankfully I have achieved a decent amount of success, and will be able to fund my pre-reqs and medical education without getting any loans. For this reason, and the fact that I'm single without children, I believe that I am poised to make a run at my dream of medicine.

I must admit that it is very scary! The thought of getting back in the classroom creates both a feeling of excitement and anxiety. I have done a great deal of research including talking directly with other non-traditional graduates. I'm getting the impression that once I get going, some of the scary feelings will subside. I also believe that being surrounded by others hoping to do the same thing would provide a great support system.

This forum has been extremely helpful in easing my mind about a choice like this. Since many of you seem to come from different backgrounds, I was wondering if there were any other non-medical (first career) people that would like to offer insight, encouragement, or anything else that might be helpful to someone like me.

Thanks again for maintaining such a great forum!
 
JamieMac said:
Hey everyone,
First of all...great forum! I've found most of the content both informative and inspirational. I can see this as being a good supplement to a non-trad's support system.

A little about me: I'm 34, and am planning to begin my pre-reqs this August (I was a Finance/Accounting major), which would put me at 37 for med school. Like some of you, I will be leaving what amounts to a comfortable salary, a nice home, and the security of what I have been doing for over 10 years. Thankfully I have achieved a decent amount of success, and will be able to fund my pre-reqs and medical education without getting any loans. For this reason, and the fact that I'm single without children, I believe that I am poised to make a run at my dream of medicine.

I must admit that it is very scary! The thought of getting back in the classroom creates both a feeling of excitement and anxiety. I have done a great deal of research including talking directly with other non-traditional graduates. I'm getting the impression that once I get going, some of the scary feelings will subside. I also believe that being surrounded by others hoping to do the same thing would provide a great support system.

This forum has been extremely helpful in easing my mind about a choice like this. Since many of you seem to come from different backgrounds, I was wondering if there were any other non-medical (first career) people that would like to offer insight, encouragement, or anything else that might be helpful to someone like me.

Thanks again for maintaining such a great forum!

I dont usually reply, but you remind me of myself a year ag when I left my lousy job . I worked in HR and the Dilbert world finally got to me, so I decided to pursue a more fulfilling career. I am 32 now and will be done with prereqs this summer, thank god! It's a long journey and at times you WILL question yourself, feel lonely, and at times you will feel excitement-it's a mixed bag of emotions. Just keep your eyes on the prize, and know that it is truly a marathon, not a sprint. You'll get used to the student life again.Good luck.
 
Therese737 said:
I dont usually reply, but you remind me of myself a year ag when I left my lousy job . I worked in HR and the Dilbert world finally got to me, so I decided to pursue a more fulfilling career. I am 32 now and will be done with prereqs this summer, thank god! It's a long journey and at times you WILL question yourself, feel lonely, and at times you will feel excitement-it's a mixed bag of emotions. Just keep your eyes on the prize, and know that it is truly a marathon, not a sprint. You'll get used to the student life again.Good luck.

Thanks for the input and advice. I wasn't quite in the Dilbert world, but eventually considered myself to be a sellout. Unfortunately, I was doing what I was doing for the money, and not the interest. My perspective is actually quite simple: I couldn't see myself doing what I do for another 5 years, let alone 25. Thanks again, and best of luck!